Liberal Democracy in action

Nick Clegg: tell us the laws that you want scrapped

The most radical redistribution of power from the state to the people for 200 years is to be made by the new coalition Government, Nick Clegg is to claim.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/nick-clegg/7738343/Nick-Clegg-tell-us-the-laws-that-you-want-scrapped.html

This is why people voted Lib Dem and this is why Labour needed to go.

Democracy? Is this why we have an unpopular government and an unelected PM, whose very first job was to try and change the rules so the government must serve at least 5 years of a fixed-term period?

EDIT

I want it made law that MPs can't make laws or affect peoples' lives in any shape or manner.

Democracy? Is this why we have an unpopular government and an unelected PM, whose very first job was to try and change the rules so the government must serve at least 5 years of a fixed-term period?

Name me a PM who was directly elected by the whole of the UK then.

Name me a PM who was directly elected by the whole of the UK then.

They have to meet the minimum majority. This government has not done that, they got in through the back door and now they are in power, they are trying to change the rules of political terms. We have an unelected PM.

Democracy? Is this why we have an unpopular government

A government formed from parties that together got more than 50% of the vote. I can't see how it could be have been more popular than that.

and an unelected PM
As already pointed out, we don't elect PMs, we elect MPs and through them a government.
, whose very first job was to try and change the rules so the government must serve at least 5 years of a fixed-term period?

Is that actually accurate, wasn't it a change to require 55% of MPs to be required to vote in favour of triggering an election instead of the current simple majority?

EDIT

I want it made law that MPs can't make laws or affect peoples' lives in any shape or manner.

Well clearly you're not very bright then.

They have to meet the minimum majority.

Minimum majority? You mean they have to have a majority to form a government? Firstly that's not true

This government has not done that,
, and secondly the coalition government has a majority.
they got in through the back door and now they are in power, they are trying to change the rules of political terms. We have an unelected PM.

We never elect PMs.

Do you have anything to say about giving power back to the people, about repealing the mass of badly drafted legislation that Labour introduced? Or did you just want to argue about the legitimacy of the government, in which case I suggest you start your own thread.

A government formed from parties that together got more than 50% of the vote. I can't see how it could be have been more popular than that.As already pointed out, we don't elect PMs, we elect MPs and through them a government.

Is that actually accurate, wasn't it a change to require 55% of MPs to be required to vote in favour of triggering an election instead of the current simple majority?

Well clearly you're not very bright then.

Can you back up your words? It is your opinion with no basis of fact behind what you say. At least what I have said is in the public domain.

Can you back up your words? It is your opinion with no basis of fact behind what you say. At least what I have said is in the public domain.

You could look up the % of people that voted Tory and LD, add them together and check it for yourself.

You could also read the news

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7735407/A-55-per-cent-majority-plan-will-taint-New-Politics.html

That's the proposal you were getting confused about.

Any opinion on the topic in question, or do you still just want to flail about regarding the legitimacy of the government?

Archived