Petrol Pump Discrepancy

I sometimes use the petrol station on Wordsworth Avenue and have recently noticed that there are differences in the amount I put in and the amount I am charged for. I only noticed this on my bank account payments but today thought I would try something so I put in £19.97 of petrol in my tank and paid in cash at the till and was surprised when I was charged £20.

I asked the woman why the petrol had gone up by 3 pence in the time it took me to walk 10 yards and she point blank refused to tell me, in fact the only thing I did notice was an extremely huge change in her attitude.

Can anyone tell me why this would happen, surely the price paid would be the price displayed.

You pay what it says on the pump, if they try to charge more then refuse and wait until you can speak to the manager.

Noticed a similar thing at the Sainsbury's Meadowhall stations a few times. Put bang on £20.00 in, get to counter and it's £20.01. I made a point of checking the pump as I got back to the car, but that had also moved up to £20.01 :huh:

when you place the pump handle back into the holder there can some times be some excess that runs out past the total counter and can some times cause it to go up by as much as 5p, if this is happening regularly though, then the pump probably has a slight fault that they should fix...

If you really think that you are meeting a regular problem, take a time stamped picture of the pump, with the nozzle back in the holder and with the dials readable.

Pay only the amount on the pump and let them see you in court.

when you place the pump handle back into the holder there can some times be some excess that runs out past the total counter and can some times cause it to go up by as much as 5p, if this is happening regularly though, then the pump probably has a slight fault that they should fix...

I placed the pump back in and it went silent, no jump up in the display or anything. Nevermind, I rarely use the place, just wondered if there was a legitimate reason....cheers.

ive had words with the sainburys on chesterfield road about that, everywhere else i can stop it dead on what i want to pay there it always jumps an extra penny when you try and stop it dead on a pound I.E £10 or£20 if you stop it on £9.99 it stays on that...wierd, i told em i was going to report them to offsted, the next time i went in i noticed stickers on the pumps showing the dates of the last government inspection hee hee

Archived