First time selling on Ebay - any advice?

And why not Italy, have you had a bad experience?

There's many sellers out there who will not sell to Italy. The Italian postal service is a notorious disgrace. Most packages never arrive to the person you send them to.

There's many sellers out there who will not sell to Italy. The Italian postal service is a notorious disgrace. Most packages never arrive to the person you send them to.

Ah, right, thanks for the advice shaz!

Ah, right, thanks for the advice shaz!

No probs dude. I hate the way sellers are shafted on eBay these days, it's a minefield out there now. Buyers can take the ****, knowing full well you can't leave them neg feedback for it... it sucks.

Randy, Dozy and shaz112 are spot-on.

Some general tips I've gathered at the coal face over time:

• check recent completed auctions of a same item for achievable pricing and P&P levels (and set starting price at either £0.99 (no listing fee) or just below average end price, depending on value)
  • sell to UK only
  • only ever send recorded delivery/signed for
  • describe your item in minute details
  • put at least one actual (not library) photograph of the item with the listing
  • don't post feedback until the buyer has left his/her own for you

If you want to add some reasonably foolproof "buyer instructions" to your listing, feel free to copy/paste my T&Cs (and edit as relevant - e.g the "10 years' worth of activity" bit, if you haven't been on eBay that long) from one of my auctions (eBayID ambro25), I don't mind :) No liability implied or accepted though, use at your own risk.

Always always always send recorded delivery! I think its 75p on top of normal first or second class prices, for each item but just do it. And save the receipts. Make sure you dont under estimate your postage too much. And good luck! I recently solt a number of items and never again, ill stick to buying and ill sell elsewhere :)

Thanks to all for the advice so far, but it seems Ebay won't let me register as a seller as I don't have a BT phone number! :confused:

Looks like I'll have to get a friend to sell on my behalf.

Thanks to all for the advice so far, but it seems Ebay won't let me register as a seller as I don't have a BT phone number! :confused:

Looks like I'll have to get a friend to sell on my behalf.

Just use someone else's phone number, you only need it to register the account and receive a code number via a phone call, it's just a one off call. You can still have your own seller account.

Best results I've had is from starting at 99p/no reserve/no BIN.

Not sure if this is still the case, but one of the benefits of starting at 99p was that it would encourage more bids and therefore push you up the "hot bids" list.

Have found 5 days, ending on sunday evening about 8pm to be a good window.

Include the line "always check seller's feedback" to build trust.

Don't mention RRP or any other price - let the bidders decide in their own minds! I have had things sell for more than RRP. Ebay can be deceptive. Not everything is a bargain - good for sellers of course ;)

Keep your postage charges moderate and make a point of that in your sales text.

Provide as much information as possible. Every little boring detail. I remember getting frustrated because no seller would mention whether the EQ pedal I was buying was the version with stereo output or mono. Ok, you can ask them the question, but if you're the seller who mentions it outright, guess who they're going to go with? Eh? EH?!!?!!!?!

I've been using Ebay to buy stuff for many years but now I want to start selling and would like to know if anyone has any tips about how to get the best price and all that.

Basically I'll be selling old DVD box sets, CDs and books. Some are quite common, others are very rare - in fact one DVD boxset I've got recently went for over £120 on Ebay (I only paid £20 for it).

Is it best to set a reserve price? Should you limit it to UK only buyers to reduce the chances of being ripped off?

Also I've heard that you can get stung with fees and commission charges by Ebay. So, for example, if I sell something for £100 on there, what percentage of that do Ebsy take in fees and commission?

All advice appreciated!

it can take up to 28 day for your first payment to clear on paypal i sold my first thing 2 weeks ago and only just got money

Develop a thick skin and be prepared for complaints and accusations that items weren't included.

I've been selling GoGo's England things (packs of five) and I painstakingly count out five in every pack, as the packages are just wide enough to have five lengthways - impossible to get that wrong, right?

Well one customer mailed me today, saying they only got 4 and she wants another.

I checked the box, five are missing, so I know with absolute certainty that I sent five.

But there's absolutely nothing you can do but send another...

Archived