Why Don't We All Just Think About Voting From A Modern Perspective?

My Father and both Grandfathers were Miners in the Killamarsh, Eckington area. Why don't we all just be realistic, .. we are not living in the early 20th Century, 1940's, or even the 1970's/80's! Hardly anybody is 'REALLY POOR' anymore, especially in comparison to my Mother's family living in Troway in the 1930's with my Grandfather unable to work, having lost a leg in an accident at Norwood Colliery and not even Social Security to help the family of five. They were still brought up with decent Family and Social Values, unlike some today! What some people are, .. is 'Poor' in spirit, values and ambition, what happened to the vast majority of the 'Respectable Working Class' that I knew when I was growing up in Killamarsh in the 1950's and 60's? 'Some' of the Labour Polititians are 'Gangsters' and Power Hungry, - Mendelson etc, .. at least Clegg and Cameron are decent, respectable and want people to strive to help themselves. Too many people still think the Conservatives are the Party of the 'Landed Gentry', what Rubbish. During the recent Election many people wanted Politicians to try and work together instead of fighting all the time, .. so why not now praise Clegg and Cameron for having the Courage to try and do it? Forget about Family, Class and Area Traditional reasons for voting in a certain way, people should in an educated and informed way, think for themselves!

Because we are thinking for ourselves when we criticize and pardon us for being cynical but after the expenses scandal which emcompassed nearly every politician including those in present government it is hard to be as idealised as you.

politicians have a long way to go before they can have the publics trust again

that said I believe the current coalition to be making the first steps on that road

I hand out praise where praise is due. I am not going to salute the coalition government just yet, only 2 weeks into the job. It's a bit early for handing out any praise. Talk is cheap so until things begin to happen, I will reserve my judgment.

Oh, and strangely enough, although coming from a predominant labour constituency which in turn was also an ex mining community, I voted for the party who's manifesto best suited my ideals and that of the country. I don't believe in grudges.

I hand out praise where praise is due. I am not going to salute the coalition government just yet, only 2 weeks into the job. It's a bit early for handing out any praise. Talk is cheap so until things begin to happen, I will reserve my judgment.

A wise move Mr Orange.;)

Archived