Diane Abbott to stand for Labour leadership

I believe it is only recently that Healey expressed regret at never being PM.

I think he made it pretty plain in his memoir 'The Time of My Life' that he definitely wanted to be Labour party leader, and somebody that wants to be Labour party leader without wanting to be PM would be a very odd creature indeed.

he even said that had he been leader in 1983 rather than Foot, Labour might have won. That obviously is a flight of fancy or vanity, they'd have had no chance even had he been leader, but they surely wouldn't have been drubbed to the extent they were.

The point I was making was that she is standing because she is not the same as those who are standing for Party Leadership.....but underneath the female black exterior she is exactly the same. What "different" ticket is she riding on then.....female??? I think Thatcher put anyone off ever wanting a female leader again.....black???? We can all see that but she is hardly representative of the black community in Hackney.....or elsewhere come to think of it.

And as for have I ever been to Hackney....not that it makes a difference well YES...I used to live in nearby Tottenham - London Borough of Haringey (another predominantly black area)...and used to frequent Hackney on a regular basis for all kinds of things. There's a cracking kebab shop if only I could remember where it was....was a long time ago :hihi:

My "interest" in Ms Abbott stems from the time when she was part of the local council in Hackney - at a similar time when Bernie Grant was local council leader in Haringey and Margaret Hodge local council leader in Islington. Like others I believed (before I knew her history) that she would well represent the black community not realising that just about the only thing she had in common was indeed the skin colour.

So this leaves me wondering about her original reason for standing for Labour Party leader....this being because she does not look the same as the others who are standing means????

She stood against the war and has a better record on libertarian and human rights issues than the New Labour contenders.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/diane_abbott/hackney_north_and_stoke_newington#votingrecord

She also doubled her majority in this election which says something about the respect her constituents give to her...

http://www.dianeabbott.org.uk/

Article where she announces standing for the Labour leadership:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/diane-abbott-back-to-the-future-with-old-labour-1978633.html

I would still prefer John McDonnell to her, who incidentally is doing very well on the Labourlist Leadership poll, currently third (Diane Abbott announced herself half way through so her support is underestimated)

http://www.labourlist.org/may-21-labourlist-leadership-poll-the-results

But, Diane Abbott would be vastly superior to the Balls and Millibands. She is at least left wing!

what is this. Neither Abbott or Mcdonnell have got a chance of winning the election. They might not even be able to contest it. One of them just might scrape the necessary number of nominations, but both of them won't.

think about it. There's already six candidates and MP's can only nominate one. 258 MPs divided by six candidates gives an average of 43. Not much room there. If the four front runners bag an average of fifty each between them, the chance of both of the other two, Abbott and Mcdonnell, having enough left has gone and they won't be able to stand.

at least Benn didn't make the mistake of standing against Foot in 1980. He knew that would have diluted the left wing vote. The chances are quite good that neither Abbott or Mcdonnell will actually be candidates.

what is this. Neither Abbott or Mcdonnell have got a chance of winning the election. They might not even be able to contest it. One of them just might scrape the necessary number of nominations, but both of them won't.

think about it. There's already six candidates and MP's can only nominate one. 258 MPs divided by six candidates gives an average of 43. Not much room there. If the four front runners bag an average of fifty each between them, the chance of both of the other two, Abbott and Mcdonnell, having enough left has gone and they won't be able to stand.

at least Benn didn't make the mistake of standing against Foot in 1980. He knew that would have diluted the left wing vote. The chances are quite good that neither Abbott or Mcdonnell will actually be candidates.

I suspect that before it comes to the actual nominations one will stand aside for the other.

What will be interesting and what needs to happen in the Labour party is for it to have a debate. where the Labour membership get a real choice one between one of the two left wing candidates and the Balls\Milibands that stand for the same New Labour party that lost the last election. Unless that is allowed to happen Labour will remain for many people just the least worst choice on economic matters, and probably worst choice on human rights (although their record on that is mixed, they are better for example on employment rights than either of the LibDems or Conservatives).

Who's backing Abbot within The Party apart from Abbot?

As an O/T aside McConnell has had a right old go at Balls / Millibands regarding their voting record on war.

I don't think Ed was around then so he would have escaped that particular criticism. But he is right to do so, support for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and Labour's undermining of some of our civil liberties are the areas that primarily distinguish McDonnell and Abbott from the other candidates and are the areas they are most weak on, as evidenced by the popular support for some of the ConDems early changes to policy like scrapping ID Cards etc..

Who's backing Abbot within The Party apart from Abbot?

As an O/T aside McConnell has had a right old go at Balls / Millibands regarding their voting record on war.

It appears Bill Ronksley is, although thats more likely to kill her off I would have thought since the only influance he has these days is here on SF.

Archived