What Do You Think Should Be Introduced To The Practical Driving Test?

In practice, speed limit enforcement in France is usually a two-locations affair: first squad speedtraps, second squad a few hundred yards down the road stops (or bike cop intercepts) the car if radio'd by the first squad. First squad can check the presence or not of relevant newly-qualified driver stickers on front and back (mandatory) as the car approaches nearer/passes.

Within the specific contex, of course it's not 100% foolproof (no system is). But the penalties are now sufficiently hefty (in case they do get caught: standard penalties are dramatically increased for "less-than-3-year-old" licenses) that young drivers in France toe the line, rather than give in to "youth exuberance at the wheel".

The 'system', as such, is not designed so much for pragmatism (what you query/advocate, Cyclone) as for dissuasion.

The addition of compulsory stickers makes it more practical.

I also think coutry lane driving is a good one, I always feel a bit nervous going 60 (if thats the limit) on twisting turning roads that are usually a bit narrow.

Now depending what you mean by country lane... I would be more nervous if you felt it was ok to do 60 down a country lane :)

(when someone mentions 'country lane' I see a single lane for traffic in both directions with tall hedges rather than a rural A road)

Maybe they are new/nervous drivers, maybe they don't know the road as well as someone who uses it regularly so are (sensibly) going at a slower speed than they might if they knew the road well.

Maybe they are following the 'rule' that you imagine a brick wall round the corner, could you stop in time? If not you're too fast....

Maybe they are really slow, maybe you are impatient. :)

I don't see max as some sort of speed demon, so they probably are going quite slowly.

I regularly follow people at 40mph on 2 lane country roads with a 60 limit. There's generally no good reason for it. Typically when they reach a 30 section as we go into a village they continue at 40mph. Maybe it's the only speed they can drive at.

I don't see max as some sort of speed demon, so they probably are going quite slowly.

I regularly follow people at 40mph on 2 lane country roads with a 60 limit. There's generally no good reason for it. Typically when they reach a 30 section as we go into a village they continue at 40mph. Maybe it's the only speed they can drive at.

They are usually the same people sitting at a slow speed in the middle lane of an empty motorway.

Maybe they are new/nervous drivers, maybe they don't know the road as well as someone who uses it regularly so are (sensibly) going at a slower speed than they might if they knew the road well.

Maybe they are following the 'rule' that you imagine a brick wall round the corner, could you stop in time? If not you're too fast....

Maybe they are really slow, maybe you are impatient. :)

Which is why I give them the benefit of the doubt and don't hassle them. I do, however, overtake on stretches where I can safely do so.

I still stick to my point that perhaps rural driving should be part of the driving test.

Now depending what you mean by country lane... I would be more nervous if you felt it was ok to do 60 down a country lane :)

(when someone mentions 'country lane' I see a single lane for traffic in both directions with tall hedges rather than a rural A road)

Yes this is what I mean, a rural A road.

I have been driving for just over 2 years, it seems a lot, lot easier now.

I don't have much experience of motorways, but I did have 2 free AA 'Drivesafe' lessons last February, and I spent most of the 2 hours on the motorway.

I would advocate bad-weather tuition for learners/new drivers. I had an accident at the beginning of my first winter driving (skidded and rear-ended a parked car on black ice which I had not seen) and it really knocked my confidence in icy/snowy weather. I do feel better about winter driving now, I got through last winter fine apart from one very near miss.

I've always thought that you should have to have a minimum amount of hours direct tuition from a qualified instructor. By all means go and practice with your parents but a minimum of maybe 10hrs instruction from a qualified instructor before you can take your test. Much in the same way as taking your pilots licence.

Make it so one of the lessons must be on a skid pan, one at night and one musty be on a motorway or high speed (50+) road.

Some suggestions based on what I was tested 23 years ago, when I passed my test in France:

[*]Motorway merging and driving, including lane usage (never brake unless an emergency, constantly adjust your speed, drive left/overtake right, etc.)

Joining motorways or dual carriageways in France is a bit of a nightmare as the slip roads are usually all of 20 yards long and French drivers rarely move out of the inside lane for merging traffic.

When overtaking they usually pull in front of you far sharper than over here - often just a couple of car lengths in front- totally unneccessary given their motorways carry far less traffic than ours.

Mind you I'm used to it by now................

Archived