Why don't we teach Sudoku in schools ..

... but we do teach algebra and chemistry?

What I'm really asking is ... how useful is the stuff that is taught in schools? Should we encourage our kids to go on to further/higher education OR should we encourage them to continue learning while earning?

Should there be more vocational courses that are challenging and valued by employers rather than a softer option for those who aren't academically inclined?

Thoughts prompted by this question: Could I make it as a teacher if I have a low opinion of the national curriculum and "teaching to the test"? (I have a teacher training interview next week).

My sister is deaf, and when she was young was very isolated from the local kids who often poked fun of her. It was heartbreaking to see her trying to communicate with these kids who were smiling at her whilst taking the p***.

I have long thought that if children were taught sign language instead of French / Spanish it would help integrate deaf people into society.

Similarly, to introduce disabled people to young children and let them see that they are not 'spazzers' (or other choice terms used)etc.

Lessons in how to accept others and to help them live a fulfilling life regardless of disability would be far more useful than algebra.

I'm sure those children (and their teachers / parents) who had a natural aptitude for academia would indentify the need for instruction in Latin and physics.

Just my thoughts:)

... but we do teach algebra and chemistry?

What I'm really asking is ... how useful is the stuff that is taught in schools? Should we encourage our kids to go on to further/higher education OR should we encourage them to continue learning while earning?

Should there be more vocational courses that are challenging and valued by employers rather than a softer option for those who aren't academically inclined?

Thoughts prompted by this question: Could I make it as a teacher if I have a low opinion of the national curriculum and "teaching to the test"? (I have a teacher training interview next week).

I have a low opinion of the exams children take at 16 and 18, and I am a teacher, although I don't teach anymore.

Teaching kids to pass their A level when you know in your heart that their work isn't A level standard in the sense that you understood it at their age is a little demoralising. You'll find that those at teacher training college will tell you the standards are the same (I qualified in 2003) because they have to say that to get credit for results improving. The standards are not the same though. I've got average kids through their A levels with grade A's and B's - with work I'd have marked as a bare minimum pass if I had marked it without reference to the marking scheme.

You just have to see it as a game though - how well can I get these kids to do, given the rules we are playing. Then it becomes fun, expect on the odd occasion when you imagine those kids either a) at University and utterly out of their depth or b) being allowed to graduate with similarly lowered standards.

What we teach them is useful. Sadly though a society based around instant gratification means that it is increasingly difficult to persuade kids that there is a satisfaction to be had from actually working hard at something and working things out.

We need to teach young kids how to respect others, use some manners and how to think for themselves as well as give em a bit more PE at school, the propaganda of "Education, Education, Education", is sending out well qualified numpties to a job market that does not need them or their qualifications !

The hype up of education came along with the downturn in decent job prospects for young people IMHO and the cost of such education is now unsustainable !

"we" being society in general, and parents in particular, no just teachers.

Correct, not just teachers, unfortunately some parents are no better than the kids as you will already know, so some of that taught in schools would be good...good for some of the teachers too :wink:

I agree with xfox3x as far as sign language is concerned. It would be a good second language for kids to learn, and I am sure they would have fun with it. You don't have to be deaf, or speaking with someone who is deaf, to make use of sign language.

There is a difference between BSL and American Sign Language which could possibly cause some confusion with Americans in Britain but who cares? ;)

I think kids could benefit from being taught to use an abacus properly like japanese kids are, then they get taught to visualise an abacus instead of actually using one, very useful for mental arithmetic

Archived