Why don't we teach Sudoku in schools ..

What a stupid thread. Its like saying 'Why don't we teach fire in school?'

But we get taught fire in school. At least we did when I went, I still remember drawing pictures of a Bunsen burner explaining what the different colours in the flame represented.

So now we've established that what about the original question?

... but we do teach algebra and chemistry?

Algebra is extremely useful in all walks of life. It's not just about the mathematics, its also an excellent exercise in abstract thought which is a necessary for improving cognitive ability.

I use algebra pretty much every day in my job as a programmer.

... but we do teach algebra and chemistry?

What I'm really asking is ... how useful is the stuff that is taught in schools?[/Quote]

Pretty useful and it has applications in everyday life.

Should we encourage our kids to go on to further/higher education

Only for degree's that are worthwhile.

OR should we encourage them to continue learning while earning?

Why the 'or' is it not possible to do both?

Should there be more vocational courses that are challenging and valued by employers rather than a softer option for those who aren't academically inclined?

I think this is a good idea, but again with a caveat, make sure the courses are valued by the employers, get local employers input on how they should be develop, lets face it at the end of the day it's them that are going to be hiring the people that undertake such a course.

In the US most pre-school day cares teach "some" signing to children too young to use words, they learn very fast at a young age, able to tell the staff what they want/don't want, it;s fascinating to see these little ones doing this....bless their little cotton socks :love:

apparently businesses are starting to bleat about there being a lack of science, engineering, technology and mathematics (stem) candidates for them to employ, again

basically what they are saying is we can't find stem graduates and although there are people out there with stem qualifications out the yinyang they either work for someone else, they are overqualified, been too senior and wouldn't take instruction well or are simply a bad fit - i.e. they are too old, so we'll offshore the problem because we can't find the skills locally, not that it's cheaper or anything

slightly off topic but still education related

apparently businesses are starting to bleat about there being a lack of science, engineering, technology and mathematics (stem) candidates for them to employ, again

basically what they are saying is we can't find stem graduates and although there are people out there with stem qualifications out the yinyang they either work for someone else, they are overqualified, been too senior and wouldn't take instruction well or are simply a bad fit - i.e. they are too old, so we'll offshore the problem because we can't find the skills locally, not that it's cheaper or anything

slightly off topic but still education related

[sTEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics ... had to look that up!!!]

No, not really off topic at all. The point of the OP was to get opinion on the usefulness of the academic subjects taught in schools.

It seems to me, (and it's an opinion which is open to change) that schools are boring kids to death, "teaching to the test", leaving them hopelessly prepared for the "real" world, none of which serves the kids or the country that well.

It seems to me that academics hate industry, business, commerce and yet that's where most of us end up.

Could we develop kids thinking skills while at the same time focusing on knowledge that could be applied rather than merely abstract?

[sTEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics ... had to look that up!!!]

No, not really off topic at all. The point of the OP was to get opinion on the usefulness of the academic subjects taught in schools.

It seems to me, (and it's an opinion which is open to change) that schools are boring kids to death, "teaching to the test", leaving them hopelessly prepared for the "real" world, none of which serves the kids or the country that well.

It seems to me that academics hate industry, business, commerce and yet that's where most of us end up.

Could we develop kids thinking skills while at the same time focusing on knowledge that could be applied rather than merely abstract?

I think teaching kids logic, would come in very useful, and how to make simple computer applications but worthwhile.

Using basic tools such as sed and awk, come in invaluable.

Algebra is extremely useful in all walks of life. It's not just about the mathematics, its also an excellent exercise in abstract thought which is a necessary for improving cognitive ability.

I use algebra pretty much every day in my job as a programmer.

I know education isn't ALL about preparing us for employment, but shouldn't that be a major part of the purpose of education - to prepare us for the next stage of life which demands that we become financially independent through work.

Would the country benefit if we steer more children towards an intellectual life of abstract thought, or if we thought about the work that needs doing and then focused our intellectual capabilities on a concrete rather than an abstract purpose?

Where's your evidence?

Archived