Pubs that have died

When did the Matilda Tavern close? I dont mean 'The Matilda' music venue building but the pub on the opposite side of the road. When Ive been in that area doing my abandoned buildings project (loads of new photos still to be uploaded!), it looks like it has been closed decades.

What were the other pubs within the Park Hill flats complex? Ive been round there quite a bit during redevelopment and there is a boarded-up pub inside - Parkway Tavern but when did it close? Wasnt there also a pub on the edge of the complex on the road that takes you down to Park Square roundabout?

That would be "The Link".

The four pubs within the park Hill complex were the Scottish Queen, The Parkway Tavern, The Link and the Earl Francis (?)

That would be "The Link".

The four pubs within the park Hill complex were the Scottish Queen, The Parkway Tavern, The Link and the Earl Francis (?)

Wasn't the Earl Francis on the end of either Hyde Park Walk or Hyde Park Terrace?

I don't know for sure so sorry if I'm wrong PT.

Wasn't the Earl Francis on the end of either Hyde Park Walk or Hyde Park Terrace?

Sorry, I meant the Earl George on PHF... (always got the two confused, which bis why i queried it with a '?' and yes The EF is also pretty much derelict- has been for years. My best memories of the EF are when a {pregnant}friend of mine threw her beer over her husband in there, some years ago... he told her that he was leaving her for his {also pregnant} mistress... :o)

Talking of Hyde Park, I take it the Crow's Nest, Target and Plimsoll have also gone. Unless SF'ers know different.

The Crow's Nest and the Target are quite definitely gone, as the block that housed them is utterly demolished, and replaced with low-rise housing. The Samuel Plimsoll, which was on the long, low block that's now clad in red, and is managed by Northern counties HA, is also gone, I believe it is now the housing office for NCHA, or is the communal Gym/ health club.

never mind 69

i only left sheff in 93 and most of my old haunts have gone

wap, hallamshire hotel, yorkshireman

didnt the george 4th vanish years before that too? used to go to punk gigs there

The Earl Francis was on Manor Oaks Rd, just up from the junction with Duke St.

The building is still there but in a bit of a mess.

Archived