Pubs that have died

Hare and Hounds Nursery Street ,"Mucky Duck" Snig Hill, Marples Fitzallan Square Brown Cow and Gardeners Rest Neepsend, The Lion corner of nursery Street and the Wicker Hole in the Wall The Wicker, Bull and Oak The Wicker and The Cricket Cricket Inn Road

...On the photograph of the Angel pub, you can just see the bottom of that lane, ' Backfields ' that used to run up the side of the Hippodrome....
Here's another photo showing the bottom of 'Backfields' more clearly; it also emphasises how big the Angel was. It's curious that Sheffield had two old coaching inns called the Angel - the other one of being the 'Angel Hotel' in (of course) Angel Street. Here are pictures showing how it looked before and after it was visited by the Luftwaffe....

Another old Sheffield pub that is no more was Moseley's Arms at the bottom of Paradise Street. It was still open in fairly recent times, but had gone downhill to judge from the larcenous-looking clientèle the the last time I had a pint there. The same applies to the former Cannon Hotel in Castle Street..:sad:

There was a pub on Arundel Street, it was either just above, or just below the old art school building. It was the only place I ever remember that had 'Black Beer', so you could get a rum and black beer if you fancied it. It was going downhill fast back in the 50's.

Another little pub I remember, which I don't suppose exists anymore, was the 'Spring Tavern', just off London Road, back of T.C.Harrison's. Good little pub that, nice pint, Stones's I think. And does anyone remember the infamous 'Aberdeen'? Only went in there once, never again. The landlord had a piece of pipe under the bar, and it wasn't a 'pipe of peace'.

One on Exchange Street that hasn't had a mention yet,

The Rotherham House (next to the Castle Market)

I first remember it as a Bernie Inn back in the early 70's, at the time it was called the 'Old No12'

after being closed for a while it opened up as the Market Tavern,

it's been closed for a few years now but the original building is still there.

• 4 months later...

Thankyou for joining in with your posts, much appreciated. Keep them coming. Here are some more pubs that have died:-

Kings Arms - Commercial St. Gay Paree - Fitzalan Sq.

Cossack - Howard St. Norfolk Arms (Dodgers) - Suffolk Rd.

Pump TAvern - Earl Way Phoenix - Union St.

Peacock - Fitzwilliam St. Domino - Egerton St.

Goldenball - Campo Lane Olde Red Lion - Holly St.

R & B's - Scotland St. 8 Ball - Fitzwilliam St.

Hofbrauhaus - Eyre St. Durham Ox - Broad St.

Ye Olde Harrow - Bard St? 2 X pubs on - Kelvin Flats

Red Lion - Duke St. 3 Tuns - Leopold St.

Buccaneer - Leopold St. Dickens - Carver St.

Prince Of Wales - Division St. Beer Engine - Cemetary Rd.

Tramway - London Rd. Cricketers - Bramall Lane

Loewenbrau (Lions Brew) - High St. Crazy Daizy - High St.

Marples - Fitzalan Sq. Travellers - City Rd.

One on Shrewsbury Rd? - Lorry crashed into it and the pub wasn't rebuilt?

In my O.P. I asked for names of pubs that had died after 1969. Some of you quoted pubs that died long before 1969 - I don't mind, keep them coming. Some of you also quoted pubs more than 30 minutes brisk walk from the town hall e.g Plough - Newmarket, and Hare and Hounds in Dore. I don't mind, keep them coming.

I would like you not to mind when I quote:-

Rock Tavern - Crane Moor

Rock Inn - Green Moor

Gate Inn - Tankersley

Yellow Lion - Apperknowle

Zum Steinkrug - Hannover

Salt Miners Arms - Vladivostok.

• 10 months later...
I 'm sorry Plaintalker-----I was in a rush & didn 't read the O.P. 's post properly [ Apologies to O.P. too ! ]

I thought I had to try & name pubs that are there now. So, it is sad to know that at least 40 have now disappeared from near the city centre. That was one of the advantages of drinking in the 50 's, 60 's & 70 's-----there was plenty of opportunity for a ' quick change ' of venue, if one felt a bit bored in one pub, at any given time. [ One on every corner, so to speak ]. There seemed to be plenty of eccentric Landlords & Landladies around then, too [ not to mention eccentric customers ! ] and they gave the little pubs an added individuality.

Not much chance that that scene will return any time soon-----more 's the pity !

Or rather NO chance that scene will EVER return - definately more's the pity!!

Thankyou for joining in with your posts, much appreciated. Keep them coming. Here are some more pubs that have died:-

Kings Arms - Commercial St. Gay Paree - Fitzalan Sq.

Cossack - Howard St. Norfolk Arms (Dodgers) - Suffolk Rd.

Pump TAvern - Earl Way Phoenix - Union St.

Peacock - Fitzwilliam St. Domino - Egerton St.

Goldenball - Campo Lane Olde Red Lion - Holly St.

R & B's - Scotland St. 8 Ball - Fitzwilliam St.

Hofbrauhaus - Eyre St. Durham Ox - Broad St.

Ye Olde Harrow - Bard St? 2 X pubs on - Kelvin Flats

Red Lion - Duke St. 3 Tuns - Leopold St.

Buccaneer - Leopold St. Dickens - Carver St.

Prince Of Wales - Division St. Beer Engine - Cemetary Rd.

Tramway - London Rd. Cricketers - Bramall Lane

Loewenbrau (Lions Brew) - High St. Crazy Daizy - High St.

Marples - Fitzalan Sq. Travellers - City Rd.

One on Shrewsbury Rd? - Lorry crashed into it and the pub wasn't rebuilt?

In my O.P. I asked for names of pubs that had died after 1969. Some of you quoted pubs that died long before 1969 - I don't mind, keep them coming. Some of you also quoted pubs more than 30 minutes brisk walk from the town hall e.g Plough - Newmarket, and Hare and Hounds in Dore. I don't mind, keep them coming.

I would like you not to mind when I quote:-

Rock Tavern - Crane Moor

Rock Inn - Green Moor

Gate Inn - Tankersley

Yellow Lion - Apperknowle

Zum Steinkrug - Hannover

Salt Miners Arms - Vladivostok.

Zakes, I know I was young and vigorous back then but the Plough and the Newmarket (and I may as well mention the Industry and the Old English Samson just around the corner) were no more than 10 minutes brisk walk from the town hall.

Archived