Pubs that have died

I was born in the Roman Ridge pub in 1966> My parents ran it, Keith and Joan Iggo until 1969 then we went to Stannington to the Rose and Crown. We then went over to Castleton to run the George Hotel. Keith and Joan have now retired and live happily in Castleton.

I've recently had a photo reading for my grandmother who was born in Sheffield in 1899 and lived in Sheffield all of her life. The medium is referring to the Jolly Sailor pub. It could be that it was demolished but can anyone remember this please? As far as I know there's no connection to the Three Jolly Sailors in Gravesend Road at the moment. Can anyone relate to this please.

I'm doing my family history of the Steeples/Clifford/Hancock families and this information would be useful to help compile a little story to go with the family trees when I finished them.

Thank you in anticipation of your kind help.

Yes, I've just looked at that site SILLY after you told me where you found the pub info. It looks like there's a lot of information on there.

BTW it may be of interest to you and/or other members but the magazine called Family History has five back copies relating to Sheffield, i.e. cutlery industry, Sheffield & District FHS and Spotlight on Sheffield which I'm going to send away for. Unfortunately - and unusually - I cannot see a website for the magazine. However, it's only £2.99 and details of how to buy back copies are in the magazine. I picked mine up at W H Smith.

There's also sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk and sheffieldindexers My relatives on my fathers side are all from Sheffield and I have found a lot from these free sites will have a look the magazine though. Once you start researching you can't stop though can you.

Archived