Pubs that have died

I was born in the Roman Ridge pub in 1966> My parents ran it, Keith and Joan Iggo until 1969 then we went to Stannington to the Rose and Crown. We then went over to Castleton to run the George Hotel. Keith and Joan have now retired and live happily in Castleton.

Didn't the Hodders then buy your pub?

• 3 weeks later...
Wasn't the Earl Francis on the end of either Hyde Park Walk or Hyde Park Terrace?

I don't know for sure so sorry if I'm wrong PT.

The Earl Francis was at the end of Hyde Park Walk. As I recall, there were steps at the end of the Walk's landing at the top of which was a gate to the paved area and back door to the pub's living quarters.

When the Walk and Terrace were renovated in 1990ish, the pub was left pretty much untouched, though it remained open for a few more years, I think.

Here you go: you can see the steps here.

Thanks for that Hectate. Hyde Park walk looks totally different to how I remember it

Yes, it does. It's strange to see the remains of that pub, though, and the slope leading up to the back end of it, still exactly the same.

And where did all those trees on Skye Edge spring from?! I used to walk up that hill regularly when it was all well-maintained grass (and do rolypolys down it in the summer).

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

The question that I'd like to ask is why have all these pubs died? And please, I'm not asking for a discussion about smoking in pubs. From what I can gather many of these pubs died long before the smoking restrictions came into play.

Have peoples' tastes changed over the years? Do they prefer to go to restaurants, bistros, shows? What do people, especially the younger set, do instead of going to pubs?

Over here they tend to go to bars that also sell food and offer entertainment.

The neighborhood pub has always been a British tradition. Seems like it's disappearing.

The question that I'd like to ask is why have all these pubs died? And please, I'm not asking for a discussion about smoking in pubs. From what I can gather many of these pubs died long before the smoking restrictions came into play.

Have peoples' tastes changed over the years? Do they prefer to go to restaurants, bistros, shows? What do people, especially the younger set, do instead of going to pubs?

Over here they tend to go to bars that also sell food and offer entertainment.

The neighborhood pub has always been a British tradition. Seems like it's disappearing.

I think that the younger set still go to the town centre at weekends. What seems to have happened is that now people can get drinks so much cheaper in supermarkets they tend to drink more at home. I think a lot of the older generation prefer to go out for a meal either night or day. The local pubs where they used to meet up got spoilt by loud mouthed yobs it doesn't take many to spoil it for all young and old alike.

The Earl Francis was at the end of Hyde Park Walk. As I recall, there were steps at the end of the Walk's landing at the top of which was a gate to the paved area and back door to the pub's living quarters.

When the Walk and Terrace were renovated in 1990ish, the pub was left pretty much untouched, though it remained open for a few more years, I think.

Here you go: you can see the steps here.

I always got/ get the Earl Francis and the Earl George mixed up, (It's a good job the Midhill Club, on East Bank Road wasn't open as the "Earl Marshal" back then, or I really would be having more tan my normal blonde moments! lol)

Hecate, I presume the pub was left untouched (Indeed it looks the same as it did 30 years ago, give or take a weed or two in the beer garden area) because it was not owned by the council, rather, being owned by the brewery.

Yes, it does. It's strange to see the remains of that pub, though, and the slope leading up to the back end of it, still exactly the same.

And where did all those trees on Skye Edge spring from?! I used to walk up that hill regularly when it was all well-maintained grass (and do rolypolys down it in the summer).

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

Did you live there Hectate and if so when? I lived there from 76 to 81 but my Mum was there from 76 to 87.

Archived