International Development Budget protected - should it be?

Hardly worth an argument and I cannot vouch for the accuracy of my stat's provided from research from the Guardian of all Gvt spend and it is possible that the Dpt of International Development may not carry all the overseas expenditure which may be dealt with by other interests.

I agree.

My figure is from Hansard.

Its long been convetion that aid be 1% of the budget, but labour wanted to make a bit of a show so that's why the percentage went up, plus the budget was inflated by labours spend spend spend policy.

At first sight it does seem odd to be giving aid to nations with space programs and nuclear weapons (India / China / Pakistan) but that is precisely one of the many reasons that UK PLC gives aid to them. We have to live in a grown up world and make grown up decisions, some of which we might not like. It's better to be on the inside of the tent.

At first sight it does seem odd to be giving aid to nations with space programs and nuclear weapons (India / China / Pakistan) but that is precisely one of the many reasons that UK PLC gives aid to them. We have to live in a grown up world and make grown up decisions, some of which we might not like. It's better to be on the inside of the tent.

What, so they can develop nukes whilst their people live in slums?

You're surely not suggesting that we offer bribes to other countries' governments in return for trade? ;)

Archived