Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

How many supermarkeys do we need? I guess it's jobs for people, but I wouldn't use Sainsburyt's if they were the only one in town. Always give the impression they think they are doing you a favour. And all that orange!!!

What happened to the planned M&S at Kilner Way? Frame built but nothing else....anyone know?:)

More supermarkets ?? Great news. Let them fight each other to the death and we punters get the benefit of low prices in the meantime.

It cant last forever, the big boys have destroyed the High Streets, wiping out the mix of shops we used to have. Let them murder each other now.......

More supermarkets ?? Great news. Let them fight each other to the death and we punters get the benefit of low prices in the meantime.

It cant last forever, the big boys have destroyed the High Streets, wiping out the mix of shops we used to have. Let them murder each other now.......

This .. ^^^^^

Last report I read on SCC planning website is that the developer has an appeal hearing pending against SCC. Something to do with what the units may be let for and what can be sold in them.

This maybe why both Boots and M&S Simply Foods are holding back on not signing up for a lease of unit/units.

Also I think once walls are put up around phase two units -then business rates kick in.

• 4 months later...

Looks like Sainbury's can't be arsed to do the archaeological and environmental stuff they originally agreed to. They applied to have their responsibilities discharged in summer 2012 but were refused.

Other than that, Sainsbury's have also decided to change what they agreed to build. They sent in an altered design at the end of December 2012 with a couple of extra 'concession' units internally (some little shop and a creche/kids educational thing).

The Council will now have to find time to go through the rigmarole of checking its all OK again to cover themselves and get it signed off. The whole point of planning is to agree on the plan and stick to it so developers and the public know whats going on. Sainbury's are just faffing.

Looks like Sainbury's can't be arsed to do the archaeological and environmental stuff they originally agreed to. They applied to have their responsibilities discharged in summer 2012 but were refused.

Other than that, Sainsbury's have also decided to change what they agreed to build. They sent in an altered design at the end of December 2012 with a couple of extra 'concession' units internally (some little shop and a creche/kids educational thing).

The Council will now have to find time to go through the rigmarole of checking its all OK again to cover themselves and get it signed off. The whole point of planning is to agree on the plan and stick to it so developers and the public know whats going on. Sainbury's are just faffing.

I have it on good authority that Sainsburys are also in for the development on the Samuel Fox site in Stocksbridge, if true this could be the reason for the delaying tactics as it unlikely that 2 large Saisnbury stores would be given permitted planning so close together.

My understanding is that Tesco are not being allowed in Stocksbridge because of the newsish Tesco store in Penistone. Could all be hearsay, but it does make some sense.

I have it on good authority that Sainsburys are also in for the development on the Samuel Fox site in Stocksbridge, if true this could be the reason for the delaying tactics as it unlikely that 2 large Saisnbury stores would be given permitted planning so close together.

My understanding is that Tesco are not being allowed in Stocksbridge because of the newsish Tesco store in Penistone. Could all be hearsay, but it does make some sense.

If ASDA can build a big shop in Parson Cross just a couple of miles from their Chapletown one then I doubt that Stocksbridge would be "too close". Just my guess though.

If ASDA can build a big shop in Parson Cross just a couple of miles from their Chapletown one then I doubt that Stocksbridge would be "too close". Just my guess though.

My understanding was that the chapeltown store would close or be downsized after the PX store opened, this didnt happen, but shows why sainsbury may be using delaying tactics to get both through planning.

• 5 months later...