Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

There's still no sign of any building works for Sainsburys, any one know what is happening now?

I was wondering the same thing.

The Stocksbridge site is going to be a Tesco.

Regards

Doom

does anyone know what is happening as regards the Sainsburys on Claywheels lane - it was said to be opening by last christmas but not even anything happening on site yet? also, I had heard that the old bingo club on Flora Street (off Infirmary/Penistone road) was to be an Aldi - does anyone know if this is right please?:roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Well the land at the corner of claywheels lane looks quite decrepied considering it has been left like that for quite some time now. I was lead to believe Sainsburys were building a new store on this site, but nothing has happened so far and makes me wonder if it ever will.

I know we need jobs in Sheffield, but how many supermarkets do we actually need?

In these times of austerity why on earth would anyone want a Sainsbury's store, when we already have Lydll, Asda and Tesco not a stones throw away. Unless of course you are one of those who need people to believe you are doing better than the rest, by being seen shopping only in the 'best' most expensive shops.. Pathetic! The joke is on you, and you can't see it. They all sell the same stuff!!

I wonder if you have ever considered the mountain of food that is thrown away at the end of each day? The majority of which is still viable, and could be given to charities........................ Shame on them, and all those who call for even more immoral waste.

I know we need jobs in Sheffield, but how many supermarkets do we actually need?

In these times of austerity why on earth would anyone want a Sainsbury's store, when we already have Lydll, Asda and Tesco not a stones throw away. Unless of course you are one of those who need people to believe you are doing better than the rest, by being seen shopping only in the 'best' most expensive shops.. Pathetic! The joke is on you, and you can't see it. They all sell the same stuff!!

I wonder if you have ever considered the mountain of food that is thrown away at the end of each day? The majority of which is still viable, and could be given to charities........................ Shame on them, and all those who call for even more immoral waste.

I wouldn't mind a large Sainsbury's at our end of town, not because I intend doing my weekly shop there, but because they do have some decent offers on from time to time on Indian/Chinese snack meals and the store in town is too small to offer the full range. I could pop in on my way home from work. :D

I agree though about the number of supermarkets.....Surely we have reached saturation point.

Regards

Doom

Technically there are two ASDA near that new Sainsburys site, parsons cross and middlewood.

I can see it being a good location, but they will have to fight for business with the established places.

The Stocksbridge site is going to be a Tesco.

First a bail hostel go's up and then a Tesco.

The locals will be out armed with pitchforks over all this development to their little town.

I wouldn't mind a large Sainsbury's at our end of town, not because I intend doing my weekly shop there, but because they do have some decent offers on from time to time on Indian/Chinese snack meals and the store in town is too small to offer the full range. I could pop in on my way home from work. :D

I agree though about the number of supermarkets.....Surely we have reached saturation point.

Regards

Doom

Hi Doom,

Why not prepare your own 'take away/snack meals'' the day or week before? 1 snack meal costs an average of £2.50- £4.50 for a small portion.

At Lydll, a pack of chicken breasts costs £3.50. A pack of peppers - £1. A pack of onions - £1. A pack of rice - 75p. Jar of Pataks Indian stir fry paste. - 75p = £7.00.

Slice everything up and stir fry, then put into take away boxes, that you should have saved? Makes up SIX good meals for one person. Or eight the size of the ones you get in a supermarket take away box.

Cost approximately £1 each. Saving £9.

Plus you will still have onions, peppers rice and paste left over to make lots of other stuff. Like Chicken kebabs; chunks of chicken marinated in lemon juice, olive oil and a tablespoon of Pataks; skewered with onions and peppers and grilled for ten fifteen minutes.

Anyone else got some ideas for 'fast food' to cut out all the rubbish and packaging bought with supermarket takeaway's?

Sorry to digress :+)

• 2 months later...

Sainsbury's still appear to be faffing about. I've had email response from the case planner at Sheffield Council, the case planner at Sainsbury's planning agent and some annoyingly chirpy PR-type from Sainbury's.

My understanding is that the Sheffield Council planners said 'Yeah, you can build it but the onus is one you to prove its gonna be ok'. Sainbury's have managed to get permission to go ahead without complying with condition on archaeology and drainage, but still need to do show they have fully investigated and considered the state of the site, flooding, boiler emissions etc.

They've also asked if they can change the building design a bit but not hugely.

I wonder why they're taking so long. Maybe this is just something for them to have in the pipeline or maybe it is genuinely a tricky one.