Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

Won't there be the occasional smattering of extra traffic generated by the new supermarket itself? Or will all the shoppers be walking, cycling and bussing?

I would imagine there will be few extra cars. But I certainly would not

make a special journey just to visit a supermarket.

hi I get fed up to the back teeth of the likes of sainsbury, Tesco, asda,premier, nice, of these giant's buying up all the spare land, pubs. thought we had enough of these store's to putting other supermarkets. for gods sake how many do we need we only have a limited amount of money to spend and we don't need any more, why are the council allowing them to do it. I'm sure a few palms must have been greases in the process, please stop these people taking over the city's. or maybe they should sell the town hall and turn into a large Egyptian souk if that's how it's spelt it, I know live in chesterfield now and it's happening her I can drive within a square mile from my house and thre are 4 former pubs being turned into supermarket please don't give permission for any more to be converted ::o

The pubs went out of business becayse not enough people were interested in going and buying their product. Presumably the supermarkets know what they are doing and feel they can make money. thats the way capitalism works. If you live in Chesterfield then why would you care?

Would you prefer the Fletchers site was left derelict and the millions of £s of investment and jobs didnt happen?

Although you will continue to see expansion of smaller convenience type supermarkets the rapid growth of big store openings like the one at wadsley bridge are well behind us.

Sainsburys recently announced it was mothballing many of it's planned new large store openings and with changing shopping habits ie internet and people topping up locally there is a growing belief that the the big 4 may have to close some of their large stores across the country.Of course the growth of the discounters is also changing the way we shop.

hi I get fed up to the back teeth of the likes of sainsbury, Tesco, asda,premier, nice, of these giant's buying up all the spare land, pubs. thought we had enough of these store's to putting other supermarkets. for gods sake how many do we need we only have a limited amount of money to spend and we don't need any more, why are the council allowing them to do it. I'm sure a few palms must have been greases in the process, please stop these people taking over the city's. or maybe they should sell the town hall and turn into a large Egyptian souk if that's how it's spelt it, I know live in chesterfield now and it's happening her I can drive within a square mile from my house and thre are 4 former pubs being turned into supermarket please don't give permission for any more to be converted ::o

What do you want to happen to these premises? Just stand empty? :loopy:

Then again, they could knock them down and utilisise your crackpot scheme from earlier in the week:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1358442

There is no big sainsburys supermarket in north Sheffield so this one is welcome.

The other big stores are archer road abbeydale or crystal peaks