Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

Very true, there are some things you just can't get at Lidl or Aldi. Up in Stocksbridge, if we want branded teabags or certain brands of washing detergent then we have to pay daft co-op prices.

We've ventured down to the new Sainsbury's a few times now and we really like it. It works out a few quid more than our usual Morrison's or Asda shop but we're happy to pay extra just for the fact that it's quiet and has nice wide aisles. Morrisons looks like a cattle market in comparison.

Just wish they'd built it in Stocksbridge instead of our failed Tesco!

Surely the "daft Co-oP prices" for branded goods are no more costly than travelling down to Sainsburys and being happy to pay a few quid more..........puzzled!

I've been to the Sainsburys a few times, now and whilst it's never that busy there are always lots of people in there. It doesn't feel as busy as Morrisons as the isles are wider and there is far more space so you don't feel like your fighting your way around alll the time.

Morrisons looks like a cattle market in comparison.
- couldn't agree more as for queing for 10 minutes to get to the till in there even when it's not busy is a joke!

I now tend to shop at alternative stores, Fruit and veg from Aldi, Lidi & Netto always tend to go off within a couple of days, from Sainsburys & the grocers they last much longer but do cost a little more. The food from Sainsburys that you pay a little more for does taste better (just check the ingredients), they also brand match with Asda and refund the difference so if you are buying brands you won't pay more. With all of these stores you need to shop with your eyes open and check the prices on things, the worst for this is Morrisons where if you buy pre-packaged vegetables they charge you much more than if you buy them loose!

I'm also very impressed with the new Netto, some great quality well priced foods in there mixed in with the cheap stuff, in particular check out the frozen fruit!

I've been to the Sainsburys a few times, now and whilst it's never that busy there are always lots of people in there. It doesn't feel as busy as Morrisons as the isles are wider and there is far more space so you don't feel like your fighting your way around alll the time.

- couldn't agree more as for queing for 10 minutes to get to the till in there even when it's not busy is a joke!

I now tend to shop at alternative stores, Fruit and veg from Aldi, Lidi & Netto always tend to go off within a couple of days, from Sainsburys & the grocers they last much longer but do cost a little more. The food from Sainsburys that you pay a little more for does taste better (just check the ingredients), they also brand match with Asda and refund the difference so if you are buying brands you won't pay more. With all of these stores you need to shop with your eyes open and check the prices on things, the worst for this is Morrisons where if you buy pre-packaged vegetables they charge you much more than if you buy them loose!

I'm also very impressed with the new Netto, some great quality well priced foods in there mixed in with the cheap stuff, in particular check out the frozen fruit!

Most of the 'lots of people" are the staff in our experience!

Personally I cannot find much wrong with it,but it cannot exist on the present number of shoppers,something needs to be done and quick!

• 1 year later...
Went in last week. Asked one of the staff where something was, and 2 of them took me to it! They were very polite and asked if I needed to know where anything else was afterwards...

I still go there a few times a week, always friendly staff, wide aisles, good choice, and looking at my earlier post when it opened...

I doubt they'll keep up yesterday's offers for long though. Just about everything seemed to be 3 for 2 or thereabouts.

It's actually still as good for offers. Probably too good on some things. I think someone goes in there and stocks up on their beer offers! Last week I noticed it was £11 for 15 pack of Carling, and £11 for a 20 pack of Carling... Guess which was sold out :hihi:

I keep noticing that bit at the far side selling curries, which I must say look pretty nice, but not tried any yet,

I've lots of time to shop around, I do like Aldi for some stuff, their wine is very good value! I also buy most of my non food stuff like washing up liquid and kitchen towels there. However since Sainsburys opened, my visits to Morrisons and Tesco are rare these days. I accept the prices in Sainsburys are higher generally, but some of the offers can keep the overall bill down, and we appreciate the quality. Plus I don't have to go round the houses with the tram gates.

I like the space, the service, and some of the clothes are nice too. I was there on Saturday, I've never seen the car park so full!