Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

ive worked at the travellers since 1996 and love the area and people around ... sainburys's have now put in another planning application because the original was rejected due to the 1 way system on claywheels lane. There new application now includes a road and the demolision on the gate inn AND the travellers too. I also worked at the gate and these two building hold a lot of sentimental value for a lot of people. with morrisons only 2 mins away - which is far far cheaper than sainsbury's i really dont see the need !! I will be opposing this all the way with alot of other on myside aswell... cant understand how they can knock down a building that is still trading !!!!

You can see the plans at http://www.sainsburys-wadsleybridge.co.uk

My concern is that it will cause horrendous traffic problems. At the moment to get onto Claywheels Lxane from Halifa Road southbound traffic has to go round Leppings Lane island and back up the other carriageway. The proposal is a short lane cut out of the central reservation to allow traffic to turn right across into Claywheels Lane. With the proposed conversion of the roundabout into a light controlled junction this means that all traffic-cars for Sainsburys, Fletchers lorries and all the others going to commercial premises along there from the north will use this short lane and cause huge backups in the outside lane as already happens at Owlerton Green and the Barracks.

To open up the other end of Claywheels Lane to traffic from Middlewood Road will just make it much worse.

You can see the plans at http://www.sainsburys-wadsleybridge.co.uk

My concern is that it will cause horrendous traffic problems. At the moment to get onto Claywheels Lxane from Halifa Road southbound traffic has to go round Leppings Lane island and back up the other carriageway. The proposal is a short lane cut out of the central reservation to allow traffic to turn right across into Claywheels Lane. With the proposed conversion of the roundabout into a light controlled junction this means that all traffic-cars for Sainsburys, Fletchers lorries and all the others going to commercial premises along there from the north will use this short lane and cause huge backups in the outside lane as already happens at Owlerton Green and the Barracks.

To open up the other end of Claywheels Lane to traffic from Middlewood Road will just make it much worse.

IIRC, the proposals for Penistone Road which were announced months ago (probably last year) included for Leppings lane roundabout to be replaced (by lights?) and for right turns to be allowed direct from Halifax Road into Claywheels Lane. So those changes might already be planned.

We live in the area and we will be backing it all the way. It would be a great addition to the area seeing as how the kilner way shops never happened and the halifax rd shops are mostly a waste of space.

Where Fletchers used to be.

(nammans wife here) Fletchers is still where it was very much alive and kicking. They are intending it to be where the travellers, gate and carphone warehouse are. :)

(nammans wife here) Fletchers is still where it was very much alive and kicking. They are intending it to be where the travellers, gate and carphone warehouse are. :)

I thought it was the part of Fletcher's that burned down and is being used as a makeshift car park at the moment.