Elsie Butcher - Catcliffe

Hi,

I am trying to find out some information on my great grandmother Elsie Stones (nee Butcher) who was born in 1910 and died in 1999. I have information on her family, but was wondering if anyone has any information on the work she did as a councillor in Rotherham for Catcliffe? Also, her and her 6 sisters made the Guinness Book of Records for the total number of years (age) of family members in the Women's Voluntary Force (think that's right), so I have been told. She also had two brothers William Lawrence Butcher and Harry Butcher.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Elsie Stone was my uncles sister in law and I remember seeing a photo of the Butcher sister (it was about 1986). I will have a look at home to se if I have a copy of the photo.

To my knowlage Elsie was one of 7 children but I don't know about William and Harry. Try Rotherhas Local studies in the libarary they shoul have a copy of the paper that the photo was in.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

are you registered on Ancestory.co.uk? I think I have linked your family tree to mine. Your auntie was Nellie Spencer (nee Butcher), who was my great grandma's sister. My grandma Beryl Martin (nee Stones) was Tony and Nellie's niece.

I met Uncle Tony a couple of times at their home in Catcliffe not long before his death. The house is no longer there now it has been turned into new flats.

Chris.

Hi,

I am trying to find out some information on my great grandmother Elsie Stones (nee Butcher) who was born in 1910 and died in 1999. I have information on her family, but was wondering if anyone has any information on the work she did as a councillor in Rotherham for Catcliffe? Also, her and her 6 sisters made the Guinness Book of Records for the total number of years (age) of family members in the Women's Voluntary Force (think that's right), so I have been told. She also had two brothers William Lawrence Butcher and Harry Butcher.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

I sent you a pm, you didn't reply, but now I have got more info on Elsie Stones nee Butcher, she had a younger sister called Nellie is that right, their Mum and Dad was William Butcher born 1880 at Wales/ Kiveton Park area and their Mum was Ada Mary White born in Rotherham and lived at 32 Main St Catcliffe in 1911. I've more info if it's the right family and you want more info let me know.:)

Hi Chris,

Yes I am on Ancestory under SPENCER 2010.

If you let me have your email I will contact you privately.

Trevor

Hi Trever :wave: I've just posted some info what you sent Sadie, I'll leave it to you now :)

• 1 month later...

Joto,

sorry I didn't reply and haven't been on the forum for a while. Yes, that is the correct Butcher family, very prominent in Catcliffe. Auntie Nellie used to run a chip shop I have been told and she lived in a house near the bridge (sadly the house is no longer there).

• 3 months later...
Joto,

sorry I didn't reply and haven't been on the forum for a while. Yes, that is the correct Butcher family, very prominent in Catcliffe. Auntie Nellie used to run a chip shop I have been told and she lived in a house near the bridge (sadly the house is no longer there).

Did Gordon Banks once own or run a chippy at Catcliffe near the Red Lion?

my relation lived on Frederick Street just up by the chippy in question

He did indeed! Along with his German born wife, Ursula. At that time, he was playing for Leicester and England, but when they came to visit his parents, they both did a stint in the chippy.

I was but a mere lad at that time and lived in South View Terrace.

Archived