Church on Summerfield St/Cemetery Road?

Yes it was the Congo, I used to go there in the Boys Brigade.

Hi 911wasalie.

Youre absolutley right, the church on Summerfield Street/Cemetery road was the Congs. We got a bit off thread I'm afraid and diverted further down the road to Cemetery road Baptist.

Hi Sharrovian.

Suspect you've probably found out what you wanted by now, but if not, hope this helps.

Although I no longer live in Sheffield, I attended CRB, as Cemetery road baptist is known in Baptist circles from arriving in Sheffield in 1966 to approx 1986. My wife attended there from being born.

Don't know who the present caretaker is but back in the 80s it was Sheila Jennett. Sheila took over from her husband Malcolm when he sadly died unexpectedly a few years earlier.

we think before them, and realy not sure of the dates now, was a Mr and Mrs Beatson. They had a son who was a bookbinder and he bound some music for my wife when she was a teenager.

There is a possibility that there was another caretaker between the Beatsons and the Jennets, but we are unsure.

My wife recalls an earlier caretaker from before the Beatsons but can't think of the name.

The caretaker used to live in a little 'cottage' at the rear of the church on Napier street. This was eventually pulled down (full of dry rot) and the new caretakers house built around about the late 60s early 70s. Presume that it is still there.

If you still need further info, I do have details of someone who was at CRB before me and is still there who would I'm sure be happy to help you. Let me know if you need more.

sorry to divert the thread back down the road again - My wife and I attended CRB, but not for as long as you - we joined in 1983 and left Sheffield, for work reasons, in '86. Chances are we may know each other - we fondly remember several families there - and of course the Billy Graham mission using CRB as the HQ. Happy Times

sorry to divert the thread back down the road again - My wife and I attended CRB, but not for as long as you - we joined in 1983 and left Sheffield, for work reasons, in '86. Chances are we may know each other - we fondly remember several families there - and of course the Billy Graham mission using CRB as the HQ. Happy Times

Hi docmel.

Now that's got my curiosity working overtime! The period you refer to would be during Philip Clements-Jewry's time as minister, not sure whether the Assistant minister, Malcolm Carrol was still there then? My wife was the office secretary and I was assistant church secretary, David Justham being the Secretary.

Does that give you any clue as to who we are?

Regards!

Hi docmel.

Now that's got my curiosity working overtime! The period you refer to would be during Philip Clements-Jewry's time as minister, not sure whether the Assistant minister, Malcolm Carrol was still there then? My wife was the office secretary and I was assistant church secretary, David Justham being the Secretary.

Does that give you any clue as to who we are?

Regards!

Yep Malcolm was around during our time - he left before we did and the last I heard of him he had been 'arrested' for protesting about something to do

If I remember correctly it was Malcolm Carrol that baptised me in 83 and Phillip my wife a few weeks later. We were new to the Baptist church and introduced to CRB by the Dowsons (opera singer!)

Without my wife to help, and I am sure she will know, I cannot put a name to your handle, but she is at work at the moment and uncontactable during the day

oh..it is Mark and Debbie Melluish

Yep Malcolm was around during our time - he left before we did and the last I heard of him he had been 'arrested' for protesting about something to do

If I remember correctly it was Malcolm Carrol that baptised me in 83 and Phillip my wife a few weeks later. We were new to the Baptist church and introduced to CRB by the Dowsons (opera singer!)

Without my wife to help, and I am sure she will know, I cannot put a name to your handle, but she is at work at the moment and uncontactable during the day

oh..it is Mark and Debbie Melluish

Hi Mark,

I'm Phil Beecher and my wife is Ray. Ring any bells?

Malcolm was arrested for protesting against genetic engineering of ceral crops, made quite a splash on national TV at the time. Although the whole group eventually got away with it, (I think) we never heard anything more of him after that. He and Wendy had gone to a church in Nottingham after CRB but am under the impression that he came out of the ministry. May be wrong. Wendy was a staff nurse at the Royal Hallamshire where I worked in Cardiology as a clinical physiologist.

We know Steve and Hiliary Dowson very well, Ray and Hiliary were 'best friends' though we only communicate at Christmas these days.

We are also still in 'Christmas' contact with Philip and Sue C-J. They eventually left CRB and Philip took a post as head(?) of one of the Baptist colleges but after that took a church in Huddersfield. He remained there until they retired about January 2011.

I retired in 2006 and we are enjoying retirement in Lichfield where our daughter and family live. Our son and family are in Cheshire.

Hi Mark,

I'm Phil Beecher and my wife is Ray. Ring any bells?

Malcolm was arrested for protesting against genetic engineering of ceral crops, made quite a splash on national TV at the time. Although the whole group eventually got away with it, (I think) we never heard anything more of him after that. He and Wendy had gone to a church in Nottingham after CRB but am under the impression that he came out of the ministry. May be wrong. Wendy was a staff nurse at the Royal Hallamshire where I worked in Cardiology as a clinical physiologist.

We know Steve and Hiliary Dowson very well, Ray and Hiliary were 'best friends' though we only communicate at Christmas these days.

We are also still in 'Christmas' contact with Philip and Sue C-J. They eventually left CRB and Philip took a post as head(?) of one of the Baptist colleges but after that took a church in Huddersfield. He remained there until they retired about January 2011.

I retired in 2006 and we are enjoying retirement in Lichfield where our daughter and family live. Our son and family are in Cheshire.

I knew that Malcolm had gone to Nottingham because i spoke to him on the phone just before he moved.

like you, we exchange cards and letters with the Dowsons at Christmas. When we left in 86 we moved to Oakham in Rutland and have been here every since. The eldest daughter, (who was dedicated at CRB) lives with her family a few miles away, the youngest daughter lives just the other side of Leicester.

Still have my nose to the grindstone - I help run a small broadband company here in Rutland with the imaganitive title of Rutland Telecom .

Archived