Clegg refuses to rule out long term deal with Tories-End of Libdems?

entire reason for its existence? :huh:

Are you really saying that the entire reason of existence for the Lib part was to come third and then form a pact with whoever came first regardless of their ideology.

I1L2T3 They're already finished IMO

I don’t think you are on your own :hihi:

In the case of Vince Cable, in my opinion he was second in command at the Libdems and as such he was in a real position to influence key economic policies of that party as well as seeming to be well respected by his fellow MP’s. His decision to relinquish this position in order to focus on his role in Government seems strange to me, first of all I’d question why he can’t do both as other Ministers seem able to cope with their workload, secondly I can’t see where he can influence decisions now as he effectively has to work under a Tory Government who will dictate the bulk of policies, thirdly he seems directly answerable to the buffoon George Osborne and I’m sure we can all agree that he would be considerably more competent at the role than he will be, fourth I can’t see where this leaves him within his party, as he now has influence there at all.

the post of deputy leader is an impressive title for doing very little.

Vince will still have a great deal of influence over both his parties and the coalitions policies and that's because of his ability not because he was deputy leader.

I can quite understand that you have difficulty with the idea that some people would put country before party, but that is exactly what Vince has done and quite rightly

This is not exactly the goal they have been working for as the serious reservations of the three previous Lib Dem leaders should amply demonstrate.

I can accept that they were right to seek to work with the Tories. I just think they took the relationship too far and that no amount of repeating the mantra that "it was the best thing for the country" will wash with the electorate. Untrustworthy (as shown in coalition negotiations), embroiled in grubby little scandals, no independent media voice, little prospect of seeing their policies become reality. They're already finished IMO.

There really wasn't much of an alternative to a coalition. A "supply and confidence" pact would not have lasted. The coalition has the chance of changing the country for the better. We shall have to see.

Some of their policies have gone, some have survived, some have been modified and a similar thing has happened to the Conservatives. That's why many of them have been frothing at the mouth about the CGT changes.

Perhaps more of the Conservative policies survived but they are the bigger party. There was very little to choose between the parties anyway, and conservative polices tempered with a bit of lib demness might not be so bad.

There really wasn't much of an alternative to a coalition. A "supply and confidence" pact would not have lasted. The coalition has the chance of changing the country for the better. We shall have to see.

Some of their policies have gone, some have survived, some have been modified and a similar thing has happened to the Conservatives. That's why many of them have been frothing at the mouth about the CGT changes.

Perhaps more of the Conservative policies survived but they are the bigger party. There was very little to choose between the parties anyway, and conservative polices tempered with a bit of lib demness might not be so bad.

To me the coalition is far better than the only other alternative which would be another election soon returning a Tory government. I do not want a return to the baying brainless triumphalism of the loadsamoney '80's.

Politics in this country will go on after 5 years, if they get a taste for Government then realistically they have two choices.

Some will go to the Tories (Clegg springs to mind), others will go to Labour.

Or they could stay in the Lib-Dems and continue on the path they've been following for the last twenty years, gradually increasing their share of the vote and looking ever more likely to become a contender for Government in their own right.

Why, just at the point where they've made a major and significant step along this road, will they all of a sudden decide it's not working? That would be utterly illogical.

Are you really saying that the entire reason of existence for the Lib part was to come third and then form a pact with whoever came first regardless of their ideology.

No, and if you quoted the entire post instead of snipping out one tiny part of if that you thought could justify your position, you'd know that without having to ask.

I’ve had to condense this title to meet the space requirements of the forum.

You could've equally titled the thread "Clegg refuses to rule in long term deal with Tories".

You could've equally titled the thread "Clegg refuses to rule in long term deal with Tories".

Or - Clegg and Tories - Long term deal or no deal?

Might make an interesting gameshow...............

No, and if you quoted the entire post instead of snipping out one tiny part of if that you thought could justify your position, you'd know that without having to ask.

I snipped out bits relevant to my reply as there is nothing worse than people replying to a small part of a post and then just hitting the quote button. People have to scroll through pages just to find the relevant bit unless we get the equally frustrating “my bold” comment.

Copy and pasting snippets doesn’t mean I have a position to justify it just helps to keep the forum tidy.

I snipped out bits relevant to my reply as there is nothing worse than people replying to a small part of a post and then just hitting the quote button. People have to scroll through pages just to find the relevant bit unless we get the equally frustrating “my bold” comment.

Copy and pasting snippets doesn’t mean I have a position to justify it just helps to keep the forum tidy.

I used to do the same (for much the same reasons as yourself), yet was banned for 24 hours:loopy:.

I think I may start quoting the whole post, then dissecting the post as I used to below it. OK, it'll look a bit daft, but at least I won't be cryptically banned.

Archived