Clegg refuses to rule out long term deal with Tories-End of Libdems?

Now forgive me if I’m wrong but if I was a Liberal Democrat supporter I’d be a little concerned that he’s not ruling out a longer deal here and now.

Andrew Marr never asked him if there was going to be a longer deal. You expect him to answer questions that have not been asked?

What was asked was whether they'd operate the same coalition again, and if the circumstances remain in five years' time what they are now, it seems fairly obvious that they would. On the other hand, if the next election sees Labour as the largest party in a hung Parliament, it seems equally fairly obvious that they'd seek to do a deal with Labour.

In short ... they'll follow the same line that they have for the last thirty or more years.

I'm not sure why Marr, or Clegg, was trying to conflate the two issues. They both happen to concern Parliamentary practice, but they don't have to happen together.

We are in total agreement for once.

So why the need to wait before voting on changing the voting system.

Now forgive me if I’m wrong but if I was a Liberal Democrat supporter I’d be a little concerned that he’s not ruling out a longer deal here and now.

you are wrong, but we'll forgive you

who knows what things will be like in 5 years time, no one can rule in or out anything

What was asked was whether they'd operate the same coalition again, and if the circumstances remain in five years' time what they are now, it seems fairly obvious that they would. On the other hand, if the next election sees Labour as the largest party in a hung Parliament, it seems equally fairly obvious that they'd seek to do a deal with Labour.

This is not accurate, I've worded how it was phrased as close as I can recall and he talked about a deal for beyong 5 years with absolutely no mention of it being in the context to form another coalition government.

Clegg is (and I think he's right) aware that there are difficulties ahead and he knows some people could go to Labour and he wnats to see him and his supporters having somewhere to go.

Clearly his loyalties are leaning more towards the Tories.

So why the need to wait before voting on changing the voting system.

Why the need to wait on any of the 20-odd bills that are going to be in the Queen's Speech? Any of them could be introduced on day one.

But they can't all be introduced on day one, and the Tories, I'm fairly sure, will be trying to push the electoral reform bill down the list of priorities. Since they're the senior partner in this coalition, it's hardly surprising that Clegg does not get everything his own way.

There is no betrayal in following the plan you told everybody that you intended to follow.

excuse me I did not put forward a plan and told everyboby that you need to follow.

My vote was based on the the principles that the Libs gave and I am sorry they have welshed on their promises.

I hope Clegg is happy with his power, he has sold out his voters and I am suprised that Sheffield folk will accept a turncoat as their MP, and yes I am from Sheffield.

excuse me I did not put forward a plan and told everyboby that you need to follow.

My vote was based on the the principles that the Libs gave and I am sorry they have welshed on their promises.

They have not welshed on their promises. They promised to talk to the largest party first in the event of a hung Parliament, and try to negotiate a working coalition with them; they did exactly that.

So why is the referendum on changes to the voting method needing to wait for the review to boundary changes.

It isn't coming in this Parliament, I know it, you know it and he has betrayed you once again.

i don't know why, ask him not me

though, as both parties agree on the need for a boundary review it may be that it will be easier and faster to get the necessary legislation and orders passed and a "joint win" would help cement the coalition.

it would also provide a firm context to debates about how any change to the voting method would affect constituancies.

to be honest, i'm not that fussed about the voting method, there are far more important things to do, so I have neither been betrayed nor have i been.

though if you were to ask me if i felt betrayed by someone who claimed the have abolished boom and bust then the answer would be yes.

They have not welshed on their promises.

Trident? Student fees? No cuts this year? etc... etc... etc...

They seem to have rolled over on many of the cornerstones of their election manifesto.

Archived