Clegg refuses to rule out long term deal with Tories-End of Libdems?

They have not welshed on their promises. They promised to talk to the largest party first in the event of a hung Parliament, and try to negotiate a working coalition with them; they did exactly that.

They promised to seek a deal with the largest party.

Let me put this another way:

I could seek to walk around the coast of Britain in sixty days or I could seek to walk to the shops.

Walking to the shops is achievable whilst walking around the coast isn't, he was right to seek to do a deal with the Tories but given that he appears to have got next to nothing out of them, he should have fallen back to option 2 or 3 which would have given him what the people voting for his party wanted.

excuse me I did not put forward a plan and told everyboby that you need to follow.

My vote was based on the the principles that the Libs gave and I am sorry they have welshed on their promises.

I hope Clegg is happy with his power, he has sold out his voters and I am suprised that Sheffield folk will accept a turncoat as their MP, and yes I am from Sheffield.

so what do you think he should have done?

so what do you think he should have done?

He should have entered into a deal with neither, forced another election and then entered into negotiations with Labour to get real and meaningful compromises on policy and then agreed that only one party would stand against the Tories.

excuse me I did not put forward a plan and told everyboby that you need to follow.

My vote was based on the the principles that the Libs gave and I am sorry they have welshed on their promises.

I hope Clegg is happy with his power, he has sold out his voters and I am suprised that Sheffield folk will accept a turncoat as their MP, and yes I am from Sheffield.

Excuse me but exactly what promise are you talking about.

I seem to remember Clegg saying that he would seek to form government with WHOEVER got the most seats.

Its only labours soure grapes that has been the topic of discussion since.

I seem to remember Clegg saying that he would seek to form government with WHOEVER got the most seats.

They promised to seek a deal with the largest party.

Let me put this another way:

I could seek to walk around the coast of Britain in sixty days or I could seek to walk to the shops.

Walking to the shops is achievable whilst walking around the coast isn't, he was right to seek to do a deal with the Tories but given that he appears to have got next to nothing out of them, he should have fallen back to option 2 or 3 which would have given him what the people voting for his party wanted.

He should have entered into a deal with neither, forced another election and then entered into negotiations with Labour to get real and meaningful compromises on policy and then agreed that only one party would stand against the Tories.

You mean you nu-labour didn't get enough seats to do anything meaningful so the libdems should have commited suicide with you.

You mean you nu-labour didn't get enough seats to do anything meaningful so the libdems should have commited suicide with you.

No I mean the two parties with most in common compromised to introduce policies voted for by most of the population.

For example only 24-25% of the people eligible to vote, voted for the cuts coming next week. My suggestion would have prevented this and satisifed the wishes of the majority.

and what if the result of the second election was just as confused? or resulted in a conservative majority?

not counting the chaos of having another 40 days without a government and the cost to both the parties and the state of a second election?

i doubt the wider electorate would have stood for the "one party standing against the tories" plan, both parties would have been massacred

it seems to me, you just wanted the lib dems to become slaves to the nulabour politburo, at least in coalition with the conservatives the libdems are equals

Archived