Icelandic Volcano now Dead?

As I am flying tomorrow I have been keeping an eye out for news of the volcano, nothing reported anywhere. Then I found this article issued on FRIDAY 21ST MAY from the Icelandic Authorities:-

The Icelandic volcano that wreaked travel havoc across Europe has tonight stopped spewing ash clouds after observers reported explosions and lava flow had stopped.

According to a statement released tonight by the Icelandic Meteorological Office, the eruption rate of Eyjafjallajökull had “declined a great deal”, triggering initial hopes the eruption may be about to end.

Despite a mid-morning, two-hour spike of seismic tremors, tonight there is no sign of any further explosions or lava flowing from the crater.

The news will be greeted with relief by air passengers, who were braced for severe ash-related air travel disruption over the upcoming peak European holiday season.

So this is GOOD news - obviously of NO interest to the press!

I was recently on holidays with my OH.

The first day (May 10th), there was no problems with the Volcano in the morning, afternoon or when we went to check in.

When it was our turn to check in, they promptly told us that air space was closed.

We had to rebook for the 11th.

We were due to come home on the 16th, but the flight was cancelled, as was the 17th. The 18th was full so we finally got a flight home on the 19th.

If the volcano has stopped, then I guess it is safe to travel without the fear of cancellations or being stranded.

Good luck

So this is GOOD news - obviously of NO interest to the press!

They haven't confirmed yet that the eruption has ended which is why it hasn't really been picked up by the press - they only think that it is about to. The volcano certainly isn't dead it's extremely active, it will only be the end of this eruption. In the meantime, we still have to assume it could start chucking ash out again at any point.

Best of luck with your flight though I hope it's for a holiday and you have a good one:thumbsup:

I think they are just like 'Boils' of the earth, and they come back when they are clogged up enough.

It won't be dead, just waiting to fester up some more gunk.

:hihi: :hihi:

I'm sure I read that in a seismic journal somewhere.

Archived