The Facts In The Case Of Dr. Andrew Wakefield - Cartoon style

Nice cartoon summing up the story.

It is particularly good because it looks not just at Dr Wakefield's fraud but at the continuing misreporting of the story in the media. We really do need and deserve better from the media.

What I like about it is that it highlights not just how Dr Wakefield was fraudulent with his research, but how he profited and hoped to profit from the fraud.

I have been accused of being "in the pocket of big pharma" by supporters of Dr Wakefield in the past. Now I'm no fan of big pharma, and don't buy any of their products. The irony of this insult that Wakefield's supporters tend to chuck around is that Wakefield is big pharma, or was at least.

It is clearly foolish to have this vaccine when you can have each one individually. The easiest way out of this mess was for the individual vaccines to have been available. Then a study could compare the children vaccinated using the two methods.

It is particularly good because it looks not just at Dr Wakefield's fraud but at the continuing misreporting of the story in the media. We really do need and deserve better from the media.

Maybe the likes of the Mail do a service in a perverse sort of way. "Ban this sick filth" sensationalism is a beacon to suspect the validity of poor journalism.

Poor journalism and poor readership go hand in hand...they feed one another IMO. Research most likely is way down on the priority list.

It is clearly foolish to have this vaccine when you can have each one individually.

It's foolish to only jab a child with a needle once when you have the option of doing it three times, giving it three times as many chances of infection from the jab, and three times as much pain?

I don't think many people would agree with that line of thinking. As for the studies, they have been done, and the MMR vaccine has been proven to be the safer option. Only the fraudulent research by Wakefield has ever suggested otherwise, and since it was fraudulent, it is, quite rightly, ignored.

It's foolish to only jab a child with a needle once when you have the option of doing it three times, giving it three times as many chances of infection from the jab, and three times as much pain?

I don't think many people would agree with that line of thinking. As for the studies, they have been done, and the MMR vaccine has been proven to be the safer option. Only the fraudulent research by Wakefield has ever suggested otherwise, and since it was fraudulent, it is, quite rightly, ignored.

They did all the original work on the vaccines separately. Then someone decided they would get a better take-up if children only had to visit the doctor once.

It doesn't really matter if you believe that there is not any evidence (yet) that ese vaccines are dangerous, or if you believe the anecdotal evidence that they are. All that matters is that large numbers of people believe them to be dangerous and so would have the individual vaccines if they were available. Because the system works by herd immunity, it is necessary to get most people protected. The best way to do this is to also offer separate injections to those that ask for them.

I would also point out that throughout history we have had considerable anecdotal evidence that things are dangerous, while the medics tell us "there is no evidence". This is sometimes because there is no danger, and sometimes because we just don't have the evidence yet.

Archived