The "coalition cuts" megathread

Yeah, use his first name. He's your big mate now.

His name is Tony, my name is truconstruct, your name is DONKEY, its at the head of the posts we make, do you have a problem with that.

Incidently the poster of the left who I predicted would understand how the system works after its explained to them isn't here any more.

You on the other hand cliam that the problem was all the banks fault yet now you cliam Blair and Brown were in on some big conspiracy with the banks, which is it to be?

High tax economies, like the Nordic systems have higher quality of life. Low tax economies tend to lower quality of life.
Your broad-brush assessment appears somewhat incorrect. E.g. as seen in Luxembourg*, Switzerland, South Korea, UAE, Ireland*, Japan* and some US States

(*at times depending on marital/familial situation)

, besides others countries (depends on whether you class China, Brazil and Argentina as 3rd world or not...I wouldn't).

In terms of taxation (personal + corporate), the UK is usually about middle of the road in league tables.

It's not how high (or low) you tax, it's how well the tax revenue is used. High tax revenues could be used well or bad, and reciprocally for smaller tax revenue.

Depends on too many factors to generalise accurately, such as country size, history, economical policy, population size and needs, number of white elephants, etc.

Swings and roundabouts, really.

How does this statement fit with your continued line that the banks are responsible for the crash?

As demonstrated here?

You assume that 'Western governments' and the financial sectors are two completely seperate and unconnected entities. This is despite the clear evidence that this is not the case, as demonstrated by the large numbers of politicians with connections to the financial sector and the activities of lobbyists working on behalf of bankers.

and here?

You are basically saying that the top bosses of global financial institutions have a much poorer grasp of economics and can be easily manipulated by the average government? Given the fact that they are one and the same class of people, this is obviously a ridiculous assumption to make.

and here?

Brown and blair did not regulate the banks for the same reason that the Bush administration didn't. Because there is a seamless link between them and the world of finance. Hence so many MPs get cushy directorships in the City on retiring from political life.

and here?

trying to draw a line between Between Blair and Cameron when non exists, or between Brown and Osbourne, or between any of these poiticians and the financial institutions which spawned them, and who they serve.

and here?

It was the fault of everyone who bought into the fallacy that everything would be just fine as long as there were plenty of people making a fast buck.

For someone so quick to call other people idiots, you seem to have an incredibly short attention span.

Your broad-brush assessment appears somewhat incorrect. E.g. as seen in Luxembourg*, Switzerland, South Korea, UAE, Ireland*, Japan* and some US States

(*at times depending on marital/familial situation).

Besides others (depending on whether you class China, Brazil and Argentina as 3rd world or not...I wouldn't).

In terms of taxation (personal + corporate), the UK is usually about middle of the road in league tables.

It's not how high (or low) you tax, it's how well the tax revenue is used. High tax revenues could be used well or bad, and reciprocally for smaller tax revenue. Depends too many factors to be generalise accurately, such as country history, economical policy, population size and needs, number of white elephants, etc. Swings and roundabouts.

Don't Norway manage to employ only 45% per capita on their civil service when set againt the UK civil service.

Sweden seems to have a busted flush on its 'system' though I guess Wildcat will say that he meant some other generic Nordic nation when he replies ;)

I think Swedens debt is about double the UK's related to the index.

This is why I automaticaly assued he's talking abot Norway.

Funnily enough, while on the subject of tax planning, it appears to me (when looking at Googled taxation league tables and comparing same with personal experience) that tax planning is most active in those countries in the bottom half of tables (UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Spain... Tax evasion is a national sport in at least France and Italy).

Which, with the possible exception of Germany, are also those wherein the civil service is usually perceived as least efficient.

The possible message (this is empirical, after all)? The better a government is perceived to use tax revenue, the less tax evasion and/or avoidance there should be to fight off. Stands to reason, really.

So where do you think Sheffield got the money to survive rate capping and still maintain services DONKEY?

Did Blunket 'play the market' in the name of class struggle?

Who do you think was pulling Alan Wigfields strings when he talked of 'creative accountancy', he wasn't bright enough to have the slightest clue how to manage the city finances.

The possible message (this is empirical, after all)? The better a government is perceived to use tax revenue, the less tax evasion and/or avoidance there should be to fight off. Stands to reason, really.

An interesting observation I think.

France is a hotbed of avoidance and evasion with just the 'social charge' for employers being some 47% of wages, and then they get taxed on top.

Archived