The "coalition cuts" megathread

The black economy is understood to be a necessary part of any economy to a greater or lesser degree.

I wonder how that reconciles alongside tax planning? Surely a cash in hand job is far worse than paying expensive (tax paying) consultants to minimise tax bills?

An interesting observation I think.
Just stating the obvious, TBH.

Whatever the country, people generally don't mind being taxed, but they do mind feeling taxed too much.

I've always been astounded at routine overspend on civil service projects (I have direct knowledge and some past personal experience of such projects in France, Luxembourg, Ireland and the UK). Often to such an extent, as would never happen in the private sector in a million years.

It's just too easy when it's not your/your shareholders' money, with armies of self-interested consultants stroking your ego and making you feel big and clever about it.

I've long advocated personal responsibility and accountability at all levels of any civil service, at least to the same extent as in the private sector: there shouldn't be any more job security in the civil service than in the private sector, and just as expedious an end to a career in cases of utter professional failure, such as were witnessed e.g. in the context of the NHS ICT refresh (but to name a high-profile one - there are countless others).

Just stating the obvious, TBH.

Whatever the country, people generally don't mind being taxed, but they do mind feeling taxed too much.

I've always been astounded at routine overspend on civil service projects (I have direct knowledge and some past personal experience of such projects in France, Luxembourg, Ireland and the UK). Often to such an extent, as would never happen in the private sector in a million years.

I know all too well where you're coming from.

I worked for a very large infrastructure develoment organisation utilising aid programs for instance.

My job was to put budgets together and negociate with clients. But the costing of a public works job and one from the private sector were very different, usualy we would spend around 4 to 5 times the amount on a public works project as set against the same project in the private sector.

All the extra spening was of course 'pork belly' to satisfy this or that politico.

I think Swedens debt is about double the UK's related to the index.

This is why I automaticaly assued he's talking abot Norway.

Sweden is also the most competitive economy in the EU.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-09/sweden-finland-most-competitive-eu-economies-wef-study-shows.html

Sweden seems to have a busted flush on its 'system' though I guess Wildcat will say that he meant some other generic Nordic nation when he replies ;)

A busted flush? If you want to look for busted flushes look at the Iceland model of deregulation and low taxation.. the place in Europe the Tories were looking for inspiration until their economy all came tumbling down.

Sweden is also the most competitive economy in the EU.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-09/sweden-finland-most-competitive-eu-economies-wef-study-shows.html

A busted flush? If you want to look for busted flushes look at the Iceland model of deregulation and low taxation.. the place in Europe the Tories were looking for inspiration until their economy all came tumbling down.

If they're so efficient which is what they mean by competative, why is their debt so large?

Since we're accepting that Sweden is a busted flush does Iceland count as a generic Nordic nation?

If we care here's a sample of the FT's stories about Iceland http://www.ft.com/iceland.

Note the arrests of a bank CEO and a report accusing the government of negligence. I wonder why we didn't get the same in the UK?

Funnily enough, while on the subject of tax planning, it appears to me (when looking at Googled taxation league tables and comparing same with personal experience) that tax planning is most active in those countries in the bottom half of tables (UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Spain... Tax evasion is a national sport in at least France and Italy).

Which, with the possible exception of Germany, are also those wherein the civil service is usually perceived as least efficient.

The possible message (this is empirical, after all)? The better a government is perceived to use tax revenue, the less tax evasion and/or avoidance there should be to fight off. Stands to reason, really.

Lots of perceptions and cultural stereotypes there, but rather short on evidence.

How do you think France and Italy compare with the more than 100,000 super rich Non-Dom tax avoiders living in London for example?

Since we're accepting that Sweden is a busted flush does Iceland count as a generic Nordic nation?

If we care here's a sample of the FT's stories about Iceland http://www.ft.com/iceland.

Note the arrests of a bank CEO and a report accusing the government of negligence. I wonder why we didn't get the same in the UK?

Do you mean excepting? since Sweden's economy is the most healthy in europe?

Iceland has the opposite model. Low taxation, low regulation and high inequalities. A system the Tories waxed lyrical about right up until its economy collapsed.

We didn't get the same in the UK because we had more sensible economic policies. Don't worry though George Osbourne appears keen to replicate the disaster here.

Archived