The "coalition cuts" megathread

"Coalition government axes £2bn of projects" including the Sheffield Forgemasters £80m loan and the suspension of the Sheffield Sevenstone Retail project at £12m.

In laymen‘s terms we are going to get well and truly screwed, ah well at least those that lived through the Thatcher reign know what to expect, the younger naïve grass is greener on the other side voters better hold tight for a bumpy ride.

If Brown, Mandelson and Darling hadn't promised to fund projects for which there was no money in the pot many of these cuts wouldn't have needed to be made. In terms of the Forgemasters "loan" - if the project is able to stand on its own feet why shouldn't Forgemasters go to one of the banks which were helped out by Labour and borrow the money from them? Surely Mandelson had a Business Plan to vet before he offered the £80 million - or did he? How can anyone who knows the cash has gone offer in all good faith money which isn't there? The Forgemasters "loan" was a political ploy offered by a Government who had lost all credibility and which knew its chances of being re-elected were small. Making more trouble for whoever got in was typical of the New Labour group.

Guest sibon
In laymen‘s terms we are going to get well and truly screwed, ah well at least those that lived through the Thatcher reign know what to expect, the younger naïve grass is greener on the other side voters better hold tight for a bumpy ride.

I've just put this onto the Forgemaster's thread, but it won't hurt to put it here too. The Lib Dems campaigned on a manifesto that included the scrappng of Trident and replacing it with a cheaper alternative. Clegg made a huge song and dance about this in an attempt to make the Lib Dems look different from the other parties.

Trident will cost at least £20bn to build, that is ten times the size of the cuts announced today. Cuts that will have a direct impact upon people, jobs, services and ultimately private businesses. Personally, I'd rather have new hospitals, roads and schools, than a nuclear "deterrant". I'm not exactly clear who it is supposed to deter anyway.

I wonder if there was any price at all that Clegg wasn't willing to pay to worm his way into Government.

Guest sibon
If Brown, Mandelson and Darling hadn't promised to fund projects for which there was no money in the pot many of these cuts wouldn't have needed to be made. In terms of the Forgemasters "loan" - if the project is able to stand on its own feet why shouldn't Forgemasters go to one of the banks which were helped out by Labour and borrow the money from them? Surely Mandelson had a Business Plan to vet before he offered the £80 million - or did he? How can anyone who knows the cash has gone offer in all good faith money which isn't there? The Forgemasters "loan" was a political ploy offered by a Government who had lost all credibility and which knew its chances of being re-elected were small. Making more trouble for whoever got in was typical of the New Labour group.

There is money. Not as much as there was, but there is money. The Government simply have to spend it in a sensible way. I agree with you to an extent about the Forgemasters loan. The postponement of Sevenstone looks rather petty to me and it condemns us all to live in a city with a building site in the centre of it for years to come.

That isn't going to help us to attract inward investment.

I completely understand that the current government have to make cuts and projects would be the first to go. I can't help thinking though that Sheffield has been hit hardest up to now.

The cuts announced today include the forgemasters loan for £83m, £13m to transform the Otukumpu site and suspending the £12m promised for helping revamp the city centre. These cuts have implications that run much deeper in terms of how this will affect our futures.

The forgemasters and Otukumpu money would have secured a nuclear industry in Sheffield that would create thousands of jobs in an industry that is likely to boom in the next decade, a big loss in my opinion. The city centre money was match funding with the private sector, we won't receive any of this now so the £12m can be doubled in essence.

With news of record unemployment in Yorkshire how much worse can it get, there was talk of cuts at the job centre recently so its not looking good.

There's understandably been a lot of fuss about Forgemasters - but I came across this on the Guardian website:

A further £8.5bn of projects have been suspended and will be revised in the autumn spending review, including a libraries modernisation programme, the Sheffield retail quarter, a Department of Health-funded wellbeing centre for Leeds and a new magistrates court for Birmingham. The bulk of the potential savings – £7bn in total – come from suspending plans to purchase a new fleet of search and rescue helicopters.

I cannot imagine this will help Mr Clegg's reputation in the city...

cannot imagine this will help Mr Clegg's reputation in the city

dont hink he has got a reputation now in sheffield, now he has got what he wanted and is on jis own little ego trip brown nosing up to smary dave. he is a tory at heart anyway. I dont know anyway how people can vote for someone is not from that city, because they just dont understand the issues of the town or city as much as a local person does

Archived