The "coalition cuts" megathread

I completely understand that the current government have to make cuts and projects would be the first to go. I can't help thinking though that Sheffield has been hit hardest up to now.

The cuts announced today include the forgemasters loan for £83m, £13m to transform the Otukumpu site and suspending the £12m promised for helping revamp the city centre. These cuts have implications that run much deeper in terms of how this will affect our futures.

The forgemasters and Otukumpu money would have secured a nuclear industry in Sheffield that would create thousands of jobs in an industry that is likely to boom in the next decade, a big loss in my opinion. The city centre money was match funding with the private sector, we won't receive any of this now so the £12m can be doubled in essence.

With news of record unemployment in Yorkshire how much worse can it get, there was talk of cuts at the job centre recently so its not looking good.

I will rephrase my post as it has been moved here. All these ideas Im sure are great but why was it being funded with public money.

As the coalition has said, they want to support these things but the money should come from the private sector.

SureStart Protected

Any comment from those Labour supporters on here who've been spouting off for the past few months that the Tories would axe SureStart?

I wouldn't be crying if they did axe SureStart...
A further £8.5bn of projects have been suspended and will be revised in the autumn spending review, including a libraries modernisation programme, the Sheffield retail quarter, a Department of Health-funded well-being centre for Leeds and a new magistrates court for Birmingham. The bulk of the potential savings – £7bn in total – come from suspending plans to purchase a new fleet of search and rescue helicopters.
It will actually, good riddance to that, use the 7 billion for summat useful.

A scenario is, inter alia, a forecast without figures, if you ever do an MBA, as I did in 1986, you will learn that.

oooh an mba, then you will know why the scenarios are entirely different:hihi:

scenario: a suggested sequence or development of events

Does noone know why public money would be used to fund businesses?

Archived