The "coalition cuts" megathread

It doesn't come from companies that don't pay taxes, which - as you may remember - is what instigated this particular line of discussion.

It does come from companies who do pay their taxes (most UK companies) and their employees who also pay taxes. The higher the earner, the more taxes they pay also, in the private sector this is a benefit to everyone.

It does come from companies who do pay their taxes (most UK companies) and their employees who also pay taxes. The higher the earner, the more taxes they pay also, in the private sector this is a benefit to everyone.

So we are agreed. It's good that companies pay taxes.

So we are agreed. It's good that companies pay taxes.

If taxes have to levied, then companies should pay some tax. Obviously the lower these can be, the more likely owners are to invest in new plant, take risks to expand and to employ more people, spend more money, pay more taxes, earn more, spend more, pay more taxes. Paradoxically, the lower the tax rate for the wealth producers, the higher the total tax taken.

If taxes have to levied, then companies should pay some tax. Obviously the lower these can be, the more likely owners are to invest in new plant, take risks to expand and to employ more people, spend more money, pay more taxes, earn more, spend more, pay more taxes. Paradoxically, the lower the tax rate for the wealth producers, the higher the total tax taken.

That's just a hypothesis. You could equally put forward the hypothesis that companies should pay more taxes and private individuals less, because that way consumers will have more disposible income to spend on the goods and services companies provbide and because the companies are selling more they can expand and pay more wages etc.

Guest sibon
They might be crumbs to you but they are jobs and a family life to others. I'd rather have business distributing money directly than through endless government sand filters.

That is a shameful post, Tony.

First, let us examine those "Government sand filters". They work both ways you know. The Government uses its power to prevent mob rule, just as much as it attempts to get the wealthy to pay their share.The sand filter that is the law of the land is weighted heavily in favour of those who have, rather than those who have not. If you can't accept that the Government has the right to expect companies to pay their taxes, then you should not be surprised when others take the law into their own hands.

On to tax evasion and tax avoidance. If you consider The IR estimates to be correct, then paying off the deficit is a relatively straightforward issue. Gather together all the tax evading members of our society, tip them upside down and shake their pockets out. Voila... in less than two years, we have no deficit. I pay all of my taxes, why should others not do the same? Do the "wealth creators" play by different rules?

After that, tackle the laws that allow tax avoidance, then we will be in surplus.

As an additional measure, it is high time that the Courts treated tax evasion as a serious crime. I suggest that it should carry a minimum two year jail sentence.... in a proper prison, not a comfy white collar, open one. The thought of the showers in Armley might concentrate a few minds as they complete their tax return, don't you think?

So you have forgotten already that it was the hundreds of £billions of public taxes put into propping up the 'wealth producing private sector' which created the credit crunch which has destroyed economies and created massive national debts in countries around the world?

Very very clearly, you don't understand how the system works.

The banks did not create the crash, governments in the west created it by spending over a long period.

In order to raise capital governments created a situation that the banks had to deal with, that of over inflated house prices.

It would take me an age to try to explain how the system works, and age that I fear would be futile in that you still wouldn't be able to comprehend how government actualy raise their appareant net worth to investors by creating things like house price inflation.

An age to explain your subjective interpretation of how you think the system works, more like it.

You see, or should I say don't see.

There's none so blind as those who will not see you know, or maybe you don't.

But carry on living in ignoorance and making uniformed posts about all things fiscal there old chap.

Guest sibon

But carry on living in ignoorance and making uniformed posts about all things fiscal there old chap.

Donkey isn't the only one in the dark about this. I'd like to know how the banking crisis was entirely the fault of Governments in the West.

I appreciate that you are concerned that it might take a long time, but, I have all night, so don't worry about that.

Off you go. Do explain.

Yeah yeah, you are an economic guru but it would be a waste of your time to try and explain these weighty and complex matters to the little people. Sage wisdom, or deluded egomania?

Archived