The "coalition cuts" megathread

You would see an end to the welfare state then and back to Victorian system of social support through charitable institutions and work houses?

Come the first world war when the state of the nation was assessed, it was clear to anyone that that system did not work and that businesses did not distribute their wealth equally or equitably within society.

Where did I suggest ending the welfare state? MY beliefs do not lead to YOUR erroneous conclusions.

As you might say:

Your position is so obviously wrong, it is an absurdity.

SureStart Protected

Any comment from those Labour supporters on here who've been spouting off for the past few months that the Tories would axe SureStart?

Reality doesn't match their words I'm afraid.

Firstly when they claim it's protected, what they actually said is that any cuts or 'savings' made to Sure Start would be reinvested back into Sure Start. So they are still free to nibble away at the parts of it they don't like (outreach etc) and give it to parts they do (erm.... no can't think of anything)

Secondly, they're still taking a huge bite out of Sure Start's Outreach budget and giving it to NHS Health Visitors, a service occasionally works with Sure Start but is not part of Sure Start.

Thirdly, they've informed local government that they have to find savings and to help them do this they have removed the 'ring-fencing' of certain budgets that national government gives to local government to pay for specific services. There are a number of services contracted by the LA to Sure Start Children's Centres using ring-fenced money. All of that is now at risk.

And they're also asking the Department of Education to find more savings which may also have a negative effect.

Edit: I scanned to page two of the report in your link. I can't see the point in wasting any more of my time on it since it contradicts itself and engages in ideology from the start. I agree with the first sentence but not the second. The third is bizarrely and wildly inaccurate and the fourth is utter nonsense.

Point 3 is a mistype you can see on page 3 that the million should read billion on page 2.

How is the fourth obviously nonsense when the evidence is there for all to see? indeed what is nonsense about it at all. :huh:

Where did I suggest ending the welfare state? MY beliefs do not lead to YOUR erroneous conclusions.

As you might say:

So why are you defending tax avoidance? and claiming the state does not distribute wealth better than the private sector when the private sector obviously primarily redistributes wealth away from those that need it most. You aren't making any sense.

There's no law against me selling all my household goods and putting the money on a horse. Nonetheless, I am still able to deduce that this would not be a wise course of action. Since when have the Masters of the Universe needed their hands holding while they cross the road?

No, there is no law against your stupidity. However Blair and Brown ran the legislature, the Treasury, the Bank of England and the FSA with direct access to the best and most knowledgeable brains in their fields.

Your excuse for losing your shirt on a horse is your stupidity. What's Brown's?

No, there is no law against your stupidity. However Blair and Brown ran the legislature, the Treasury, the Bank of England and the FSA with direct access to the best and most knowledgeable brains in their fields.

The fact that no one anticipated the crisis. You know the fact we are in a global crisis. Not one specifically of Gordon Brown's making.

I didn't say I did it so don't use it as an excuse to be rude, or if you are going to, do it properly, you pompous smart arse.

Point 3 is a mistype you can see on page 3 that the million should read billion on page 2.

How is the fourth obviously nonsense when the evidence is there for all to see? indeed what is nonsense about it at all. :huh:

Ah, a mistype is it? The opening paragraph of an executive summary by a supposed tax expert of a document hosted on a union website is a mistype of monumentality misleading proportions.

I feel your case has lost a smidgeon of credibility there. I noticed it right away. How many people won't yet will go on to peddle the myths in that ridiculous paper?

So why are you defending tax avoidance? You aren't making any sense.

I have no adverse position on tax planning. It is a legitimate, legal and responsible part of any and every organisation that handles money, from government Olympic schemes to pensioners penny savings accounts.

Tax evasion is rightly punishable.

I didn't say I did it so don't use it as an excuse to be rude, or if you are going to, do it properly, you pompous smart arse.

I know you didn't. I fail to see why you are upset - you were using your horse and life savings as an analogy weren't you?

Therefore your stupidity was also analogous.

Maybe you could climb down off that horse, you'll get cold without your shirt. ;)

The fact that no one anticipated the crisis. You know the fact we are in a global crisis. Not one specifically of Gordon Brown's making.

The other great myth being peddled. Did you find it on a union website? ;)

Archived