Why are burkas etc. always black (or dark)?

Probably, but the idea would be to sell them in more than just black.

They could do a special edition Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat version.

Or a St George flag version, that'd go down well during the World Cup.

What about 'Mini' and 'Topless' burkas?

Somebody asked this question before on a previous thread, but it was never answered. So I'm asking it again.

Why is it that traditional Muslim women's clothing is usually black? Surely in this sort of weather it would make more sense to wear a white one, which would keep the wearer cooler? Indeed since most Muslims live in hotter parts of the world, why are they not white as a matter of course?

Edit: genuine scientific enquiry so please don't let this descend into the usual drivel.

i watched a documentry about it few weeks back the women were saying they do not wear them for religious reasons but because there men force them to, its to stop other men being able to see them and be tempted to steal them, the dark colours was to make them blend in and not stand out or show any individuality, if that is true then i think they should be banned in this country!

i watched a documentry about it few weeks back the women were saying they do not wear them for religious reasons but because there men force them to, its to stop other men being able to see them and be tempted to steal them, the dark colours was to make them blend in and not stand out or show any individuality, if that is true then i think they should be banned in this country!
Totaly agree if 'Hoodies' can be banned surely burkas come into the same catagory.

More to the point if they're only worn because men insist then the word 'Burke' is very appropriate.

Totaly agree if 'Hoodies' can be banned surely burkas come into the same catagory.

More to the point if they're only worn because men insist then the word 'Burke' is very appropriate.

i've always seen it as if you cant go into a bank or garage with your face covered (hoodie, helmet etc) why should a burkah be aloud

1. Don't assume that countries are always hot

2. Don't assume that burka's are only worn in hot countries

3. Don't assume that people always go out of the house when it is hot like we do in the UK

Contrary to other answers, the colour of an item does indeed affect the amount of heat absorption. And humans produce heat, quite a lot of it in fact.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms2/hatchett/ : You will notice that the light colour reflected heat better - however that experiment was done in a box, so there was no airflow so it only proves the suggestion that the colour affects the amount of heat radiated or absorbed, not which colour garment is best.

Perhaps you ought to turn that smilie back on yourself, eh?

Unfortunately for me that link just keeps going to an annoying popup about keytrax.com, so beware.

Archived