New TV Lisence Can Anybody Explain?

I have just attempted to set up a direct debit for my tv lisence, on a brand new place I have just moved into, and I just can't get my head round the payments... :help::help:

The payments will be as follows..

01/06/2010 £29.10

01/07/2010 £29.10

01/08/2010 £29.10

01/09/2010 £29.10

01/10/2010 £29.10

01/11/2010 £12.12

01/12/2010 £12.12

01/01/2011 £12.12

......etc etc etc

Now this is all new to me, so I apologise for being a bit thick (well a lot :hihi:).. but why are they charging me a full years worth of payment's within 5months?? Now I have rung to ask the question, and am told that I have to pay in advance for the 1st year but then why are they continuing to charge me after that? Surely I should then go 7months without having to pay? Or are they maybe trying to charge me for the previous tenant....

If anyone can help on this realy would be appreciated!!

A TV licence runs between the 1st of April and 31st of March when ever you buy it. It does not run for one year from when you purchase it. So when buying your licence today it will be valid from 01/04/2010 until 31/03/2011.

You pay a higher rate for the first few months because you have bought your licence half way through year.

So you pay 6 months in advance.. that makes a lot more sense now!

I must admit it was a foreign lady on the phone, and I was realy having difficulty understanding, although she didn't explain it very well either way.

So if for instance i decided to move in 6months i could claim the money back for the extra 6months i haven't used?

So you pay 6 months in advance.. that makes a lot more sense now!

I must admit it was a foreign lady on the phone, and I was realy having difficulty understanding, although she didn't explain it very well either way.

So if for instance i decided to move in 6months i could claim the money back for the extra 6months i haven't used?

thats correct or you could transfer to a new address

A TV licence runs between the 1st of April and 31st of March when ever you buy it. It does not run for one year from when you purchase it. So when buying your licence today it will be valid from 01/04/2010 until 31/03/2011.

You pay a higher rate for the first few months because you have bought your licence half way through year.

no, my TV license runs from November to November.

no, my TV license runs from November to November.

I think a licence can start at any point in the year.

The important factor, though, is that they take payments for 6 months before and 6 after, so when you first go onto Direct Debit, the licence you're about to buy has to be paid in six months, as the OP has now found out.

Archived