Two rape allegations, one acquittal and a suicide

Surely the girl is guilty of a crime?

Well, of course she is technically. She also gives those genuine women (who are the majority) a bad name and fuels the notion that tons of women 'cry rape' either as an act of revenge or because they have cold feet after the event.

why has he no right? Is this a personal opinion?

In law, a person charged with rape (or any crime, come to that) has no right to anonymity. Their names are published by the courts (eg. 1st July, Fred Bloggs in court #3 charged with murder) and can be printed by the media.

I don't mean to say that he should not have that right, only that as things stand currently, he does not.

He has no right to anonymity; whether the local papers actually did name him or not I don't know, but certainly anyone who checked with the court would know he was on trial for rape.

so if you had sex with a girl and then she cried rape, you would be happy for you to be accused as a rapist??

When he is tried and found guilty then he should be named, not before then!

Well, of course she is technically. She also gives those genuine women (who are the majority) a bad name and fuels the notion that tons of women 'cry rape' either as an act of revenge or because they have cold feet after the event.

She might also have a personality disorder or other mental health issues.

I find it staggering that this woman's story wasn't subject to closer scrutiny before the case was brought to court.

so if you had sex with a girl and then she cried rape, you would be happy for you to be accused as a rapist??

When he is tried and found guilty then he should be named, not before then!

I have no idea why you wrote the first sentence - its got nothing to do with reality. HeadingNorth has just explained why the accused has no right of anonymity when brought to trial. Its nothing to do with HN personally, its the law.

Just don't shoot the messenger please.

She might also have a personality disorder or other mental health issues.

I find it staggering that this woman's story wasn't subject to closer scrutiny before the case was brought to court.

I also find it staggering, it doesn't ring true. Since when do cases come before the courts because a complainant pushes for it (as the reporting implies), regardless of the evidence, particularly a rape case? One would assume that the woman concerned will undergo some kind of assessment?

It didn't used to be that way :cry:;):cry:

Aww BF - the occasional sparring is all good for the soul.:thumbsup: It wouldn't do to agree on everything now, would it?:D

I'd be extremely unhappy about it, but I don't make the law. The law is that the accused has no right of anonymity.

There were already some fairly loud noises being made about changing that law, and a case like this one will only make them louder.

Archived