Isle of Mull Holiday

Not camping, we stayed in the Youth Hostel in Tobermory, but it is a beautiful island with stacks to do and see. Tobermory itself of course is Balamory in the children's programme. Hope you enjoy the holiday!

Not camping, we stayed in the Youth Hostel in Tobermory, but it is a beautiful island with stacks to do and see. Tobermory itself of course is Balamory in the children's programme. Hope you enjoy the holiday!

How did u find the midges? , our other concern is the weather...

We were there a year ago. For two pins, I would up sticks and move to Mull. Midges: yep, as most of Scotland's west coast between June and September, but they go for everybody, they don't just single out tourists. Use deet, should keep them away. That and keep yourself covered as much as you can. There are quite a few campsites. 300 miles of coastline, more deer than humans, drop-dead gorgeous place.

We were there a year ago. For two pins, I would up sticks and move to Mull. Midges: yep, as most of Scotland's west coast between June and September, but they go for everybody, they don't just single out tourists. Use deet, should keep them away. That and keep yourself covered as much as you can. There are quite a few campsites. 300 miles of coastline, more deer than humans, drop-dead gorgeous place.

Indeed , we have been up to loch lomond and midges were bad, but wasnt sure weather being over the sea might make any difference....

Its currently a toss up between mull and pembrokeshire!

Just to add - been to Scotland many times and never been unduly bothered by midges apart from once when I stopped the car near a stream to take a picture in the early evening, and left the car door open. I got back in a car full of midges with nowhere to escape.

They can't cope with a windspeed of over 4mph or so, I just turned the fan on full - but I suspect this inability to fly in the wind means islands are less midge-y?

Archived