Can't get cooking oil of my dress!

What have you done so far?

To get fat or oil out of clothing, I use several sheets of folded kitchen towel (blotting paper if you have it) under the stain. Liberally cover the stain with talcum powder. Use several more sheets of kitchen towel over the stain and press over it with as hot an iron as the fabric can take. Read the ironing instructions first. You can repeat this several times if necessary. Brush off any excess talc that's not been soaked up by the kitchen towel.

Then pour neat washing liquid onto the stain and soak in warm water. Then wash as per washing instructions.

This really only works when the stain is fresh and not been washed or anything first. If it's something you really love and it was expensive, take it to the dry cleaners, maybe?

I get olive oil spattered on my clothes all the time. When it's something I care about, my solution is to work some neat washing-up liquid into the affected area with my fingers and then leave it until I need to do a regular wash, then plonk the item into the machine with all the other stuff and wash as normal. It usually does the trick.

Hi HayleyJayne

I have recently found a great product which gets rid of greasy stains - my OH loves cooking and has recently got oil on several shirts and T shirts (including new ones:o) I found a spray in Wilkinsons - it's called De-Solv-it (also sold in larger Tesco's, in a larger can)

Make sure you spray the stain on both sides, wait for 10 mins, spray again and stick in the washing machine on the highest wash temperature, with pre-wash (mine is 60 degrees). It has worked!! Shame I didn't discover it earlier as I have chucked away lots of things in the last few years because of stains..never thought I would find something that works on grease, and we're not even talking fresh stains! It does stink and sting your eyes, but that's a small price to pay:)

give it a go!

edit: can is blue with white logo, and other coloured letters but mainly blue and white

Hi

Silly me wore a new summer dress whilst making tea and spilt extra virgin olive oil down it and now I cant get it out...

Advice anyone??

The OH regularly drips grease down T shirts. I use vanish- it's in a pink spray bottle. Just spray a bit on and give it a quick scrub with a sponge, normal machine wash cycle and all is fine. I've used it on all sorts of clothing items, from white to black and colours in between.l

Hi

Silly me wore a new summer dress whilst making tea and spilt extra virgin olive oil down it and now I cant get it out...

Advice anyone??

Don't wear a new summer dress whilst making tea.

*runs away*

Archived