Another Sheffield Hero-Sgt. Eric Glossop

PopT

I came across an article in an old 1944 Sheffield Star newspaper.

It told the story of a 20year old pilot Sgt. Eric Glossop.

He who avoided houses in Lincolnshire before his plane crashed.

His home address was given as 35 Thorpe House Road Sheffield.

When I read it I thought how brave he was, what an hero and so young.

Does anyone else know anything about Eric?

PopT

Hi PopT - just using various resources, an Eric W. Glossop is shown in the "Ecclesall B." births index in Jan-Mar 1924, his mother's maiden name being given as Leonard. A William Glossop married a Mabel I. Leonard in the Ecclesall district in Apr-Jun 1919.

At 35 Thorpe House Road the 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "Edward Ward, police constable", but at 37 Thorpe House Avenue is "William Glossop, registrar".

I couldn't find a death entry for an Eric Glossop, so perhaps he survived the crash?

Hope this is helpful!.:)

I must be getting idle in my old age, I never thought about the BMD records.

I was took up by the story and wondered if anyone had any accounts of the crash.

Thankyou for that Hillsborough

PopT

• 1 year later...

PopT,

Amazing - I know a lot about this incident and would be keen to understand what you have from the Sheffield Star. Eric certainly did survive, as did all the crew. The aircraft concerned was a Lancaster from 50 squadron and it very nearly (by about 5 feet) wiped out my family pretty close to the centre of Lincoln.

Eric was the Navigator and his aircraft was returning from Stuttgart and preparing to land at his home base of Skellingthorpe when a near miss in the landing circuit forced his aircraft to actually hit the roof tops of the houses in the St Giles area of Lincoln.

How they all survived was a combination of superb flying and amazing luck.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone provide any help on the 1944 Sheffield Star article referred to in PopT's original post at the start of this thread? I've been researching this story for many years and was completely unaware that this existed.

Any ideas of how/where I could get a copy would be very much appreciated.

Could anyone provide any help on the 1944 Sheffield Star article referred to in PopT's original post at the start of this thread? I've been researching this story for many years and was completely unaware that this existed.

Any ideas of how/where I could get a copy would be very much appreciated.

Have you tried Sheffield Archives or Local Studies in the main library building on Surrey Street?

Archived