Cutbacks - Can we afford the Pope's visit?

That's a scarily optimistic spin on things. I only hope it's true! :)

That's it - look on the bright side. It will have only cost us £14 999 970 once that £30 is banked. Woohoo! We should invite someone else unwanted to come visit. :hihi:

This is a joke, right?

15 (fifteen) MILLION pounds for the Pope to visit! Is this documented somewhere or is it merely one of the Daily Mail's 'true and honest' stories?

Seriously, isn't anyone else outraged by this? It's a disgraceful, outrageous waste of money and while I've no doubt the current Pope, for all his words, has shed not so much as a second of remorse, it's horrific to think his pointless visit is being paid for by UK tax payers.

It'll be at least that because of the security. And yes, people have protested.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/search.html?query=pope+visit

Whilst we are going to suffer severe cutbacks which are going to put many people out of work, why are we paying £15 million towards the Pope's visit and is he bringing the whole Italian nation with him?

Cutbacks may be necessary but they need doing with a modicum of common sense - which cuts will damage the economy most, put most people out of work or destroy important services and which cuts will go largely unnoticed by the population at large.

Wining, dining, and generally cossetting, important (to some) visitors always seems to incur costs out of all proportion to the visit. This applies also to our own top dogs, especially Ministers, MP's, Judges & and Lords etc.

Don't think the expenses fiasco has all been sorted - just carefully re-arranged. They are all well paid for the jobs they do and can more easily afford to pay for their own meals, drinks and upkeep than the millions of people struggling on low incomes.

I cannot see what use organised religion is.

Seemingly, power for the sake of it and jobs for the boys.

Lets have those 26 unelected Prelates out of the lords.

I think saying that Pimp Benny is not welcome would be a milestone in showing up the Catholic Church for what it has become and would meke this country stand proud.

Yes, I agree. Dont flock around him, best ignore him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karis

This is a joke, right?

15 (fifteen) MILLION pounds for the Pope to visit! Is this documented somewhere or is it merely one of the Daily Mail's 'true and honest' stories?

Seriously, isn't anyone else outraged by this? It's a disgraceful, outrageous waste of money and while I've no doubt the current Pope, for all his words, has shed not so much as a second of remorse, it's horrific to think his pointless visit is being paid for by UK tax payers.

It'll be at least that because of the security. And yes, people have protested.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/search.html?query=pope+visit

This was reported on the BBC Teletext News Service.

The £15 million does not include policing and other security - that will be extra.

Glad to see that the majority are as incensed as I am about this.

Further note to cutbacks and spending priorities:

MP's have protested about the new rules on expenses so it has already been agreed that they can have an advanced payment of £4000 for travel & phones etc.

but it's what a lot of people will want

I'm not one for gambling, but I'd be willing to bet that there are more people who couldn't care less or will not want it than there are those that do.

We have paid for many many visiting dignatories over the years; heads of state, presidents, prime ministers, monarchs & religious leaders. Should we stop shelling out for all of them or just single out the Pope due to the prejudice of a few?

Should we stop shelling out for all of them or just single out the Pope due to the prejudice of a few?

In times of austerity, stop them all if it saves millions:thumbsup:

We have paid for many many visiting dignatories over the years; heads of state, presidents, prime ministers, monarchs & religious leaders. Should we stop shelling out for all of them or just single out the Pope due to the prejudice of a few?

I don't think we should pay for any religious leader to visit. I don't think there are only a 'few' who agree. It just so happens that the Pope is the next one coming, his business is embroiled in a child sex scandal,it's going to be expensive, and the country is virtually bankrupt - so people are understandably upset about it being paid for out of taxation. It's not as if the country will benefit.

I don't think we should pay for any religious leader to visit. I don't think there are only a 'few' who agree. It just so happens that the Pope is the next one coming, his business is embroiled in a child sex scandal,it's going to be expensive, and the country is virtually bankrupt - so people are understandably upset about it being paid for out of taxation. It's not as if the country will benefit.

People in the country will benefit - Catholics, who pay tax too.

Archived