Cutbacks - Can we afford the Pope's visit?

People in the country will benefit - Catholics, who pay tax too.

In what way will they benefit, and how will that benefit to a small number of people justify the expense imposed on everyone else, who may be inconvenienced by the visit? I imagine, for example, if you happen to live near one of the places he is visiting it will mean diversions and delays.

How many do you think will benefit anyway? And how many do you think will be inconvenienced? And how many do you think won't care?

And should the state pay for everything that will benefit some people? If the gave a tax cut to all people called Bert I'd be delighted, and so would my brothers-in-Bertness. Would that make such a move acceptable?

People in the country will benefit - Catholics, who pay tax too.

How will they benefit?

The country is almost bankrupt and massive cuts are taking place.

Do you think that this expense should be given priority whilst peoples jobs are being thrown away and services being reduced or removed.

Is £15 million plus security costs a fair price anyway, for one man and his entourage to visit the UK.

If you read the heading of this post, "Can we afford the Pope's visit",

you may get the point.

In what way will they benefit, and how will that benefit to a small number of people justify the expense imposed on everyone else, who may be inconvenienced by the visit? I imagine, for example, if you happen to live near one of the places he is visiting it will mean diversions and delays.

How many do you think will benefit anyway? And how many do you think will be inconvenienced? And how many do you think won't care?

And should the state pay for everything that will benefit some people? If the gave a tax cut to all people called Bert I'd be delighted, and so would my brothers-in-Bertness. Would that make such a move acceptable?

Not being a Catholic, I can't say with certainty how Catholics will benefit; spiritually perhaps? You'd have to ask Catholics to get a more precise answer, but I'm sure many Catholics will welcome the visit and want to attend open air Mass etc.

As for the disruption, we get disruption on Marathon days, or every fortnight if you live near a football ground. It won't be anything out of the ordinary and as the Pope moves from place to place the disruption will be short lived.

There will be a burden on the British tax payer, just as their is every other time we have visiting dignatories, it's a price we pay for being a free and open society that allows people like the Pope to visit.

There will be a burden on the British tax payer, just as their is every other time we have visiting dignatories, it's a price we pay for being a free and open society that allows people like the Pope to visit.

There is a huge difference between allowing him to visit and paying for him to visit.

How will they benefit?

The country is almost bankrupt and massive cuts are taking place.

Do you think that this expense should be given priority whilst peoples jobs are being thrown away and services being reduced or removed.

Is £15 million plus security costs a fair price anyway, for one man and his entourage to visit the UK.

If you read the heading of this post, "Can we afford the Pope's visit",

you may get the point.

How will it cost £15 million?

How will it cost £15 million?

I'm sure that's exactly what the UK taxpayers would like to know.

So, I'll answer my own question - No, we can't afford him and, it would appear, the majority of us don't want him

Archived