Cutbacks - Can we afford the Pope's visit?

We have paid for many many visiting dignatories over the years; heads of state, presidents, prime ministers, monarchs & religious leaders. Should we stop shelling out for all of them or just single out the Pope due to the prejudice of a few?

We were not bankrupt then and yes, we should stop shelling out for them all.

How do you arrive at "the prejudice of a FEW"?

Yours is, quite clearly,the minority view.

I think you would find, as this post shows, that the MAJORITY don't want to spend over 15 million for him to come.

And prejudice doesn't come into it - just moral opinion - I know some Catholics who have a very poor opinion of him.

We were not bankrupt then and yes, we should stop shelling out for them all.

How do you arrive at "the prejudice of a FEW"?

Yours is, quite clearly,the minority view.

I think you would find, as this post shows, that the MAJORITY don't want to spend over 15 million for him to come.

And prejudice doesn't come into it - just moral opinion - I know some Catholics who have a very poor opinion of him.

Some Catholics may not like him, that is however, unlikely to be anything to do with the simple fact of who he is, the leader of the Catholic Church, whom some will have a predjudice against because of their atheist standpoint.

Some Catholics may not like him, that is however, unlikely to be anything to do with the simple fact of who he is, the leader of the Catholic Church, whom some will have a predjudice against because of their atheist standpoint.

Yeah that's exactly right, we don't like the pope because we're atheists :loopy:

Yeah that's exactly right, we don't like the pope because we're atheists :loopy:

If you'd had read my post more carefully flamingjimmy, you would see that I was not accusing all detractors of being atheists.

I'll add another loopy if that helps the discussion at all :loopy:

Atheist's may have a prejudice against him but we're not talking about atheists.

We are actually talking about Christians - especially Christians who think that a man who was implicated in the cover up of paedophile priests should never have been made leader of the Catholic Church in the first place.

If you'd had read my post more carefully flamingjimmy, you would see that I was not accusing all detractors of being atheists.

I read your post carefully, and I've been reading the occasional posts you make on subjects such as this in the past. What seems obvious to me is that you don't like atheists who talk about religion, and think we should just shut up, basically.

If your post was aimed at specific people and not just a swipe at atheists then I'm sure you'll tell me who you meant then, right?

I read your post carefully, and I've been reading the occasional posts you make on subjects such as this in the past. What seems obvious to me is that you don't like atheists who talk about religion, and think we should just shut up, basically.

If your post was aimed at specific people and not just a swipe at atheists then I'm sure you'll tell me who you meant then, right?

I do not know how you can read posts on a forum and conclude that another forummer posting reasoned arguments is equal to telling you to just shut up. Is that your best counter argument?

If I wanted to just tell you to shut up, that is what I would do, but since that is not what I do, I try to use reasoned argument instead. I have read some of your posts too. This is not the first time I have found your post less than impressive :)

Archived