Do garages engineer in problems with cars they service?

Quite right it may be starting to split but its all down to the tester. Its not compulsory to advise, the first tester must have felt it necessary to advise on the bush, it may have only had a small crack or split. The second tester may have felt it not necessary to advise. I recently tested a car which had been tested a week earlier in Wales. The customer did not mention this until after the test. We both failed the car on the same things but i only advised on the handbrake only just passing. The test centre in wales had many advises which in my opinion were pointless?. Testing is not an exact science, it is open to interpretation and personal opinion.

I'm with the OP here as i wont trust garages either, For the last 10 yrs i've always serviced my own cars mainly so i know that it has actually been done as over the years i've caught out a few garages not replacing items such as oil filters, air filters even oil at one (he tried to tell me he'd changed the oil it was darker than hammerite when i checked after the service whe n i queried it he answer was " its darker cos its a diesel car" shame the motor was a 1300 cc petrol engine :hihi:

I've had a garage try it on and try to tell my OH that the threads were knackered and thats why the spark plugs were not tight as they were just turning around and around in there situ, When i got to the garage it turned out he was wrong as it was simply the HT leads that had worked loose and he'd put a larger socket over the spark plug to make it appear as if the plug was going round n round.

Another idiot tarrin everyone with the same brush. Some garages may be bad but many are not and Many Technicians work damn hard to get jobs right first time. You could look for a garage with ATA accredited technicians instead of a grimey hell hole.

http://www.automotivetechnician.org.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

after all this debate which is very interesting, i am now very paranoid about where to take my car for repairs, as i think the bushes on my suspension are shot. can anyone please recommend a GOOD RELIABLE mechanic, many thanks.

I have a car that used to belong to an old bloke who, judging by the records, took it to be MOT'd and serviced to the same place every year - in some years it seems that was pretty much the only time he drove it as the mileage is very low.

Anyway, the car is 12 years old, and on the last MOT it had an advisory on the suspension bushes. I noticed too that it had a very slight oil leak.

When I took it for an MOT - having done 70% of it's total lifetime mileage in the previous 12 months - there was no mention of any wear to any of the bushes.

The MOT did note that there was an oil leak though, and it had been getting worse. I put off looking at it because I was worried it might be a big job to fix it, and there is no point having a cheap car if you're going to spend lots on it. However, the oil patch outside the house was getting quite big, so the other day I put it up on my ramps and found that the cause of the leak was an oil filter that wasn't even hand tight.

Now of course the filter could have got looser in the 16 months since it was serviced, but I suspect it was never tight in the first place, and cynically I'm thinking the garage the old guy used (a major chain, and not a Sheffield branch) knew it'd spend a lot of time sat in the same place so any oil leak would be obvious, and also that he kept the car meticulously maintained, and would therefore probably pay to have it 'fixed' when it came back 12 months later for an MOT - when I guess the bushes they'd mentioned the previous year might have 'needed' replacing too.

Or am I being to cynical?

The same oil filter for 16 months? ? They're supposed to be replaced every six months or every 7,500 miles. That's the general rules for any Japanese car or any other make car no matter in what country it's sold

The same oil filter for 16 months? ? They're supposed to be replaced every six months or every 7,500 miles. That's the general rules for any Japanese car or any other make car no matter in what country it's sold

It's overdue a service admittedly, but I'm pretty sure it's only a 12 monthly / 12,000 mile swap.

It's overdue a service admittedly, but I'm pretty sure it's only a 12 monthly / 12,000 mile swap.

I've not heard of a car that has a 12 monthly/12,000 mile interval between oil and filter changes. Better to stick to the manufacturers recommendations even if it's an older car

I change oil and filter every 3,000 miles although that might be a little overkill on my part

I've not heard of a car that has a 12 monthly/12,000 mile interval between oil and filter changes

Really? Most cars are only serviced annually, or at 10 or 12k miles, whichever is sooner. I have the service guide for my 1999 Mondeo here - it's actually 10k or annual, not 12 as I said earlier.

Getting it done once a year or every 10k would be manufactures recommendations, but as I said it's a little over - I'm busy, the car runs fine, and at 11 years old it's well out of warranty anyway so no worries about that!

Why do you not follow the recommendations and instead change oil every few months?

Really? Most cars are only serviced annually, or at 10 or 12k miles, whichever is sooner. I have the service guide for my 1999 Mondeo here - it's actually 10k or annual, not 12 as I said earlier.

Getting it done once a year or every 10k would be manufactures recommendations, but as I said it's a little over - I'm busy, the car runs fine, and at 11 years old it's well out of warranty anyway so no worries about that!

Why do you not follow the recommendations and instead change oil every few months?

Take any Japanese car for example and check the owners manual. It invariably states that oil and filters should be changed every 7,500 miles or every six months whichever comes first.

I dont see how these recommendations would be different in the UK for such universal selling models as the Corolla or the Accord for instance.

Oil and filter change services are pretty cheap in my part of the world and my way of thinking is the fresher the oil the better it's lubricating capabilities which means longer engine life.

I racked up 275,000 miles on 91 Honda Accord without a hiccup as far as the actual engine was concerned and at that mileage it still wasn't burning any oil

Modern Japanese cars need servicing every 12k or thereabouts

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/serviceschedule/

The accord has variable servicing and the corolla isn't even in production anymore.

http://www.fordsussex.co.uk/serviceintervals.pdf

The ford range is much the same, the majority are on a 12.5k interval.

Archived