What was the Grove, Sheffield

theres more information on the grove in the fulwood cottage homes threads...a lot of kids were in one of these two places...difference was the staff at the grove were sensitive to kids who had nobody to look afterv them through no fault of their own...totally different to the ethics at fulwood....im amazed the council got away with such cruerlty

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for your replies. and "anlabystreet" I was in Fullwood cottage homes, it was my first taste of being brought up in childcare. I was there from the age of 3 to 5 years before being moved to Mather Road at Darnal, group home. then being fosterd to a family at Richmond. Luckily with being so young at that time, I only have a few memories of Fullwood. My total time in childcare spans from the age of 3 year and 4 momths to just before my 18th Birthday. The experience was far from good, and I would fight tooth and nail to keep any kid from having to go into care.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all im looking for more info and how people would be able to access their records from the late 1950'/60's from the grove .. my mum was in The Grove around this time with her siblings, i wonder if anyone remembers her? she was in with her sister and possibly her brother, names are Lorraine, Sonia, and Carl Pickering, any help would be great!! thanks in advance ;)

• Sad 1

The Grove was on Broomgrove Road just off Ecclesall Road ..i was there in 1960 when Mr and Mrs Siddall ran the assessment centre.. fond memories..

Memories just came flooding back at the name of Mrs Siddall :), my nan worked there in the 60's and often took me with her. I remember knowing it as "the naughty boys home", never knew what it was exactly, so thank you for the memories xxx

shinyhappy thanks for replying even if it wasnt to me i was worried i hadnt posted properly, my mum was in The grove when mr sidall ran it.. i just hope i could probably find people that were in there the same time as my mum :)

my wife and her two sisters and their brother were in the Grove in the mid fifties for a couple of months because of a family illness, they have told me some very disturbing accounts about how they were treated, it sounds like a very grim place.

• Thanks 1

My mum was in there as her mum had died from TB when she was 9 she had 4 other siblings and they eventually ended up here there and everywhere, she was then in The Leas homes in Holmefirth but doesnt recall how or why, she really needs to fills in the gaps, ;(

• 2 months later...

I was in the grove when i was 4 in 1949 along with my brother and sister [older

and again in 1954to 1959 we were known as long stay childrenas lots of children came and wentQuickly. we were there for 4 years mrs and mrs S.ddall were in charge house mothers were mrs Sheperd, Miss Crookes,miss Bodamela i was in contact with Mrs Sidall till she died about 10 years ago, her home was in Hathersage and they would take a few off us to the cottage for the weekend One year we went to seatan crewe for our holidays, then next year we went to the isle of man

we had a black and white cat called Ming it was my job to feed him we all had jobs to do i also washed up set the tables and helped mrs cooper the cook to make the yorkshire pudding, she was a lovely lady.

A group of us went to Crookes Endowed school,in crookes that is were my family came from hope this rings a bell with anyone looking for information about The Grove.

• Thanks 1