Everybody draw the Holocaust day.

So let me get this straight over this argument about “censorship”:

1. In wider society. As far as I’m aware, except in limited circumstances relating to law, it is perfectly allowable to be rude and offensive to people.

1a. A Christian is allowed to be rude to non-Christians, and the Bible is often rude to non-Christians.

1b. A Muslim is allowed to be rude to non-Muslims, and the Q’ran is often rude to non-Muslims.

1c. An atheist is allowed to be rude to religions, and QI and Mock The Week are often rude to Muslims and Christians alike.

2. In private society. As far as I’m aware, except in limited circumstances related to discrimination rules, it is perfectly allowable to impose additional, but not less, limits on free-speech as the private society wants.

2a. A football club can impose a no swearing rule.

2b. A library or monastery can impose a no talking rule.

2c. X-Line Ltd can decide that all posters on Sheffield Forum accept their Terms and agree to be bound by them.

This all seems pretty straightforward to me.

But certain religious zealots feel that whilst they are only subject to Rules 1, they should be able to impose their Rules 2 on everybody else. Worse still, some of them think that violence, or threats of violence, is acceptable in their demands that Rules 2 be imposed on everybody else.

Worryingly, there is some evidence here that moderate religious people, whilst they will not defend the violent threats of others, actually do think that 1c is not allowable whilst 1a and 1b are.

Stranglely, there has also been some confused argument from one person that because he was subject to censorship under Rules 2, this somehow negates the argument for the freedom of speech under Rules 1.

This argument is even more crazy when one considers that the censorship he objects to, an image of a man having sex with a pig with the superimposed face of Nick Griffiths, actually falls foul of Rules 1. Under s63 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act, which came into force just over a year ago, images of sex with animals are illegal to possess, never mind post on a family friendly forum. A man was charged with possessing a joke email of a man having sex with a tiger last year. The moderators decision to remove the link to the image was a no-brainer.

I haven't followed this thread.

Have any muslim posters linked to sites displaying pictures that people have been sentenced with imprisonment for? If they have then I will condemn them for it. Just as the people starting the campaign the thread is about deserve condemnation.

Shepherd and Whittle last year for example were convicted for publishing one of the cartoons (the Tales of the Holohoax) displayed on the page NoddyHolder linked to.

Looking at the facebook page and the discussions on it I would say that the Islamist campaign is likely to be illegal too. I would not be unhappy to see the people running it to be charged with race hate crimes. In fact I have just reported it. Facebook should take it down.

Surely by asking them to take the page down you are promoting the denial of freedom of speech which you so avidly promote..I may have issues with the muslim religion but I will back their right to promote anything they wish as long as its legal and even if I personally find it distasteful.

Don't waste your time on these people Tab coz they don't listen and from what I have seen just seem to gang up on you. They are a bunch of muslim haters end of.
The truth is that the worm has turned, there are certain members who argue, misquote, misconstrue and even contradict their stance from a previous topic just to feel/look important.

Very rarely do these members contribute anything to a thread, it seems that people are now no longer afraid to take them on.

Don't waste your time on these people Tab coz they don't listen and from what I have seen just seem to gang up on you. They are a bunch of muslim haters end of.

I missed this post.

mayfa - why do you imagine that 'disagree' = 'hate'?

And why do you think that many people disagreeing is the same as people 'ganging up'? If I declared myself the Queen of Denmark I imagine most of the world would disagree with me as I am not of royal descent, Danish, or a woman. It wouldn't mean the world was 'ganging up' on me though, just that they disagree with me.

Yet again milquetoast1 you are guilty of applying far too much common sense and clarity of thought :-)

Thank you very much. :) I spent a hour composing that one, and I was a bit hesitant. My "best post ever" from a few days ago took me two hours and the thread got pulled 5 mins after I posted it. I nearly chucked the white towel in there and then and decide not to come back. :mad:

I missed this post.

mayfa - why do you imagine that 'disagree' = 'hate'?

And why do you think that many people disagreeing is the same as people 'ganging up'? If I declared myself the Queen of Denmark I imagine most of the world would disagree with me as I am not of royal descent, Danish, or a woman. It wouldn't mean the world was 'ganging up' on me though, just that they disagree with me.

I missed that too.

It's very infuriating isn't it? Just an attempt to shut up disagreement I guess. The religious meme has had 1000's of years to evolve though, far longer than any concept of free speech/thought.

Politics = OK

Sport = OK

Art = OK

Religion = Shut up.

His next post get's even more strange:

I don't like Islam haters, racists so if that makes me a bigot than so be it.

Please don't use quotes in a different context to what they were said please.

As for the Everybody deny holocaust day thread, people who criticise it well to me it seems that when it was draw Mohammed day everyone was in support of it saying it was freedom of speech/expression etc but when it's the other way round then people start complaining so that to me seems like it's ok to slag muslims off but not for muslims to slag others off.

:huh:

Archived