Editing services required.

Kaimani

Hi Kainmani,

I can't give you a personal recommendation but here are two companies that may be able to help you.

Have a look at The decoruslacuna website, for proofreading services.

Also, (This is an advert from 'The writing magazine') Claire Pickering, experienced secretary offering the following services: Proof reading, editing; typing manuscripts, novels, screenplays & audio typing.

Tel/Fax: 01691 679711 Mob: 07909 963005 Email: predit@talktalk.net

It would be a good idea to contact The society of authors, they may be able to recommend a reputable company.

thanks, will look into them. was hoping for someone more local (boosting the local economy and all that) because i think i would prefere there to be the option a face to face meet after. i find it very hard to do any kind of 'business' without seeing who i'm doing it with. don't know why in this day and age.

anyway, you think these people worth the money? i think so but have been told not to bother by some people. someone suggested going down the 'writing patner' route as it is cheaper and likely to be more 'collaborative' than 'critical'. not so sure. to be truthful, what i am struggling with most of all is the synopsis and that-i'm not sure they do that-so hope they can help.

again, thanks for the reply.

I'm an editor (based in Sheffield) and could be interested in doing some freelance work for you, depending on what it is you've got in mind. Are we talking fiction or fact? How many words? Do you have a time limit? Are you after someone to get involved with editing and improving the text or is it just a proof-reading job (i.e. checking for errors)? What's your ultimate aim with the work?

I'm happy to discuss further - send me a PM if you're interested :-)

Anne

Kaimani, be careful what you end up with here. I wouldn't use either of the links that Manta provided (sorry, Manta).

1) There's a big difference between editing and copy editing, but the people behind Decoruslacuna don't seem aware of that. I spotted a couple of typos on their website, too, which doesn't bode well.

2) Being an experienced secretary does not qualify one to work as an editor of any kind. If you are considering going ahead with her ask what her professional editorial experience is, and ask what sort of editing she provides.

3) Don't expect to get good editorial help cheaply: editing well takes a lot of time. If you have a novel-length manuscript you want someone to look at it's going to cost you a good few hundred pounds; if you're quoted significantly less you're almost certainly not going to get good advice.

You might be better off joining a website where members offer beta reading and critique services to each other; but make sure that the level of writing there is professional and competent. You don't want to take advice from writers who don't really know what they're doing.

Good luck.

I have to say, I'm a bit anti-Decoruslacuna as well. I approached them about three years ago seeking freelance work. They asked me to write an article about copywriting so they could see the standard of my work. If they liked the piece, they would use it on their website and would pay me a small sum (£15) for it. They'd then start putting other work my way. I accepted the paltry £15 because I thought it would lead to more lucrative work. The only work they ever offered me involved writing five short (about 200 words) pieces for a travel company. This might lead to more, they said. The pay for the job? £7!!! I said I couldn't possibly work for such a small sum. I never heard from them again, although they're still using my piece on their website, and it no longer even has my byline.

Of course, this doesn't in itself mean they can't do what they say they can do, but I would question the skills of any writer who would work for such a ridiculous fee, and I wouldn't expect their proofreaders to be any better paid/skilled.

Kaimani

Having enjoyed the benefits of Peacock Lady's editing skills (albeit with just a couple of very short pieces), I can only agree with what she has said here.

A proof-reader will mainly check your writing for spelling, punctuation and general layout errors. They may highlight grammatical mistakes, but not necessarily.

An experienced editor will do so much more: they will see the whole story, and can offer you advice on structure and emphasis, as well as helping you to pare the writing down and rid yourself of literary flab. Moreover, a good editor will have considerable experience of the publishing world, and can offer invaluable help and advice to make your masterpiece as attractive as it can be to potential publishers.

Archived