The petulance of atheism

Whilst HeadingNorth is correct that I have not said the existence of God (as opposed to the concept of god) is stating the obvious, I'll humour you and assume I did.

That would leave us agreeing that there is a 'God' - or several Gods.

You go further than that though, I think, and claim that your God is always right, and is perfectly loving, but I see no evidence for this, and plenty to the contrary.

Can you explain where you get the idea that this 'perfectly obvious' God of yours is a well-meaning sort of chap with the power to do as he pleases?

That's a big subject better suited to another time, but one suggestion I would put forward is that the world is a beautiful and marvellous place and that the harm in the world is caused by mankind rather than God. :)

That's a big subject better suited to another time, but one suggestion I would put forward is that the world is a beautiful and marvellous place and that the harm in the world is caused by mankind rather than God. :)

Yep, volcanoes, drought, flooding, earthquakes, meteor strikes, being eaten by a bear. All caused by mankind.

Most people think it's bloody marvellous if they are caught in an earthquake, and they marvel at the beauty as it kills them. :roll:

what about the mass extinction event that killed all of the dinosaurs.

That couldn't possibly have been because of humans, we hadn't evolved yet.

So do you think that is an atheist logic and a theist logic? I'd always thought that religion was based upon faith rather than logic, maybe this is where you are going wrong.

I don't base my existence on things I don't believe in, I base my existence in things that I do believe in.

That goes for me as well, I don't base my life on things I don't believe in either and over the years my faith has been tested and tried and because of that my faith is stronger now than it was say thirty years ago.

Are you suggesting that atheism is founded on petulance?

Does this suggestion even make any sense?

Annoyance is an unpleasant mental state that is characterized by such effects as irritation and distraction from one's conscious thinking. It can lead to emotions such as frustration and anger. The property of being easily annoyed is called petulance.

How can a disbelief in god be founded on the personality trait of being easily annoyed?

Yep, volcanoes, drought, flooding, earthquakes, meteor strikes, being eaten by a bear. All caused by mankind.

Most people think it's bloody marvellous if they are caught in an earthquake, and they marvel at the beauty as it kills them. :roll:

I think everyone would agree about the wonder, majesty and power of the things you mention.

I did not mention anything else.

I would put forward is that the world is a beautiful and marvellous place and that the harm in the world is caused by mankind rather than God. :)

Yep, volcanoes, drought, flooding, earthquakes, meteor strikes, being eaten by a bear...Most people think it's bloody marvellous if they are caught in an earthquake, and they marvel at the beauty as it kills them. :roll:

I think everyone would agree about the wonder, majesty and power of the things you mention.

I did not mention anything else.

You said all the harm is caused by man. So you must either

a) be wrong

b) believe no harm is caused by earthquakes and volcanoes

c) believe earthquakes and volcanoes are caused by man

I think you are wrong. What do you think?

Archived