The petulance of atheism

People are people no matter what they believe. I see the Dr Dawkins is arranging humanist summer camps to indoctrinate youth .... the exact thing he criticises religions for doing????!!!!

He will be teaching them to use the devil's tools, like logical reasoning and looking for evidence to support claims made. No more being able to say, "It's a matter of faith" or "God did it" without these atheists asking for proof. Well there isn't any. It's my faith and I can believe what I like. Anyway, it's all in the bible so it must be true.

He will be teaching them to use the devil's tools, like logical reasoning and looking for evidence to support claims made. No more being able to say, "It's a matter of faith" or "God did it" without these atheists asking for proof. Well there isn't any. It's my faith and I can believe what I like. Anyway, it's all in the bible so it must be true.

Stop trolling

Do some atheists suffer the same overly ****-sure symptoms as some religious folk?

Is atheism the new topic not to be discussed at the dinner table?

Do people really worry so much about this issue? Or is it just a certain corner of SF?

Perhaps we are fortunate to live in a period of history in which there is nothing else to concern us. :roll:

The way I see it is if you can't prove or disprove something (i.e. a teapot floating in space) then you can only live by the assumption it doesn't exist. This is probably the most common atheistic stance.

At least science is humble enough to acknowledge how much we don't know. Why draw premature conclusions about the origins of the universe by saying "god did it"? Our current reach of knowledge is all we have. You can speculate over what's waiting to be illuminated in the shadows, but to be absolutely certain about the mysteries beyond is just as logical/illogical as being certain about anything your mind could conjure up. A gay giraffe ate the flying spaghetti monster and created the universe.

Who's "**** sure" again?

The way I see it is if you can't prove or disprove something (i.e. a teapot floating in space) then you can only live by the assumption it doesn't exist. This is probably the most common atheistic stance.

At least science is humble enough to acknowledge how much we don't know. Why draw premature conclusions about the origins of the universe by saying "god did it"? Our current reach of knowledge is all we have. You can speculate over what's waiting to be illuminated in the shadows, but to be absolutely certain about the mysteries beyond is just as logical/illogical as being certain about anything your mind could conjure up. A gay giraffe ate the flying spaghetti monster and created the universe.

Who's "**** sure" again?

Heathen ... it was a gay elephant (pbuh)! And I mean in the happy sense of the word, who wouldn't be eating such delicious pasta?

Anyway, I like the way this guy describes the burden of proof:

http://revatheist.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/letter-to-my-sister-2/

:)

I'm fed up of these atheists trying to tell people that there is no God, not even a little bit of one. What proof have they got? None? Where do they think they came from? Where did the universe come from if God didn't make it?

Millions of people all over the world believe in lots of different gods. Are they all deluded? There has to be a god for there to be this level of worship. People are just having a bit of trouble deciding which is the one true god, unless you are a pantheist in which case, the more the merrier.

So you're only happy if you're talking to Agnostics or Pantheists?

I quite like this bit of your post though, so I'll requote it.

Millions of people all over the world believe in lots of different gods. Are they all deluded?

It's billions, but that just makes the point stronger. Clearly the vast majority are deluded, they can't all be correct can they!

Oh, you also need to look up and understand about proving negatives. Of course Atheists don't have proof of the absence of something, such proof is impossible.

Dawkins is only going to "indoctrinate" youth with the ability to think clearly and rationally. Would you argue against this?

Seeing as Dawkins was all over the papers not so long back boasting about how he was going to arrest the Pope, surely he's more a desperate attention-seeker rather than a serious writer?

You can't take an author seriously when all his books are basically saying is "God doesn't exist because I say he doesn't."

Archived