The petulance of atheism

What do you think would happen if people stopped worshipping God.

Absolutely nothing, yet more evidence that god doesn't exist. Worshipping him makes no difference to anything, he doesn't answer prayers, he doesn't protect anyone from danger, he doesn't help people to better themselves. No we have to do those things ourselves.

By that statement you admit all Christendom agrees regardless of denomination.

By that statement you are saying that you are in agreement with Islam and Judaism.

What I actually said, if you bother reading the actual words, was that you can't prove the existence of God.

Man has created false religion agreed. That leaves Christianity.

No, that probably includes Christianity. You have decided with faith, not fact, that you are right. Prove to me with facts why you are right and, more importantly, why everyone else is wrong, and I will gladly agree with you.

This was Jesus/God who made himself known to us just like you are asking.

So you believe, according the stories you have read and been told. Prove to me that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of God, or the embodiment of God on Earth, or whichever way you want to transmogrify 'God' in to a human form. Mind you, my wording assumes that 'God' isn't in human form. If s/he is, prove that as well.

People will be left in no doubt at the second coming but then it will be too late for many.

This asks more questions than you can shake a stick at. Why would an all-caring God leave so many in misery before eventually deigning to turn up? Are the millions and millions of believers (let alone those who don't believe) not worthy of any emancipation? How do you know there will be a second coming? How do you know there was an arrival in the first place?

Encyclopaedias are reliable sources and it can be said that history is a set of stories. Faith acknowledges fact.

Quite spectacular. Do encyclopaediae go out of date? Do they contain inaccuracies? Do they contain matters which were once factual, but through natural change are no longer factual?

Faith acknowledges fact? Absolute rubbish. It does exactly the opposite. Is the Bible based on fact? Did Methuselah live until the age of 969, for example?

No, that probably includes Christianity. You have decided with faith, not fact, that you are right. Prove to me with facts why you are right and, more importantly, why everyone else is wrong, and I will gladly agree with you.

Surely you can't expect him to prove a negative?

Proving that he is right would be enough for me.

That's what I'm asking him to do!

Fair enough, I was confused by the 'more importantly, prove everyone else wrong line' but I suppose if he was to prove himself to be right that would effectively prove everyone else to be wrong anyway.

Fair enough, I was confused by the 'more importantly, prove everyone else wrong line' but I suppose if he was to prove himself to be right that would effectively prove everyone else to be wrong anyway.

To a point. If he could prove that God exists, it would prove atheists wrong, but not necessarily followers of other religions, in particular those whose God appears to be the same as the Christian one, i.e., the Abrahamic religions. Proving everyone else wrong (a sweeping generalisation to a point, I agree) would include those who believe in a God, or Gods, but which happen to be the 'wrong' one/s.

What do you think would happen if people stopped worshipping God.

Just ask yourself Bloomdido.

I already know the answer.God would smite them with his special magic or they wouldn't get into the VIP area of Heaven. They would have to queue for an eternity for their rum and cokes.

I already know the answer.God would smite them with his special magic or they wouldn't get into the VIP area of Heaven. They would have to queue for an eternity for their rum and cokes.

Which would be rather warm, apparently.

By that statement you are saying that you are in agreement with Islam and Judaism.

Islam and Judaism are not Christianity which is what is meant by Christendom.

What I actually said, if you bother reading the actual words, was that you can't prove the existence of God.

The fact that God weighs heavily on peoples minds confirms passages like Romans 2:14-15 that states every person has the Law of God “written in their hearts.”

My faith is built on the fact that when I boil a kettle there must be something unseen. If you can prove it happens by itself, then all well and good.

So you believe, according the stories you have read and been told. Prove to me that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of God, or the embodiment of God on Earth, or whichever way you want to transmogrify 'God' in to a human form. Mind you, my wording assumes that 'God' isn't in human form. If s/he is, prove that as well.

Like you I don't think God is in human form other than the thirty-three years he revealed himself to us. He made sufficient impact to the cynics of the day that people were prepared to die for him long after he were gone and I am not aware of any other historical figure who has had the same impact, or who is so well known across the world, or who lives in the hearts and minds of people as if it were yesterday.

This asks more questions than you can shake a stick at. Why would an all-caring God leave so many in misery before eventually deigning to turn up? Are the millions and millions of believers (let alone those who don't believe) not worthy of any emancipation? How do you know there will be a second coming? How do you know there was an arrival in the first place?

I cannot answer the question "why is eternity such a long time" but I do know our lifetime is like the blink of an eye, everything is provided for us, and looking at the microcosm of a woodland glade, of life and death and rebirth I look further than this life, added to which history does have a habit of repeating itself.

Quite spectacular. Do encyclopaediae go out of date? Do they contain inaccuracies? Do they contain matters which were once factual, but through natural change are no longer factual?

If it is a fact that the Norman Conquest happened, then it remains a fact.

Faith acknowledges fact? Absolute rubbish. It does exactly the opposite. Is the Bible based on fact? Did Methuselah live until the age of 969, for example?

Archaeology supports the Bible. If time was counted by the phases of the moon then these people lived a normal life span and as we have the genealogies of these people I'm inclined to think the Bible is talking about an "age" similar to the Norman or the Plantagenet period. It is such an apparent anomaly that it proves the Bible has not been edited and that the people of the day knew more than we do.

I believe in what I know, not what I don't know and although there are pieces of the jigsaw missing, there is sufficient to see the whole picture. The difference between us is that I try to fill in the blanks, but the hole proves the existence of the ground.

Archived