The petulance of atheism

No he isn't.

So who has told you this? Whose words have you accepted at face value and then repeated on a public forum?

Perhaps you need to attend one of these camps to learn some critical thinking, and how to row a canoe?

:hihi:

:) I already know how to paddle a canoe thanks .... what was the other one?:hihi:

Depends if he's gonna let people make their own minds up without insulting their personnal beliefs .... if he can do that .... fantastic!!!!! :)

What any and all of their "personal beliefs" or just those that involve widely held beliefs about magic men who live in the sky?

Theist: "There is a God. He loves me. I pray to him. He agrees with my views on homosexuality. When I die I will go to heaven, whilst the unbelivers will go to hell."

Atheist: "Have you any evidence for that?"

Jeesh, those atheists are so arrogant aren't they?

:hihi:

Or more accurately for the arrogant pair:

Arrogant theist: There absolutely is a god and if you say there isn't - or that he isn't my flavour of god - you are evil and wrong and I will brook no debate.

Arrogant atheist: there absolutely isn't a god and if you say there is you are wrong / deranged / insane / dangerous.

Someone who actually thinks: I have my beliefs, you have yours - so long as neither of us tries to force our beliefs on the other then live and let live...

Arrogant theist: There absolutely is a god and if you say there isn't - or that he isn't my flavour of god - you are evil and wrong and I will brook no debate.

Arrogant atheist: there absolutely isn't a god and if you say there is you are wrong / deranged / insane / dangerous.

Someone who actually thinks: I have my beliefs, you have yours - so long as neither of us tries to force our beliefs on the other then live and let live...

Nicely put.

It would be rather amusing to type up a little list of names after each of those definitions - but I'll resist the temptation; we all know who fits where.

There are probably far more people who fit into the 'you have your beliefs, I have mine' bracket than the other two fortunately.

Even in your attempt to balance it up you cannot fail to highlight the historic baggage which the theistic position has always occupied.

"Evil, infidel, god on my side, scriptural authority", all carry far more dangerous rhetoric than simply "wrong" ever can, no matter how insultingly or arrogantly it is argued from whichever position.

After all the threads on the Forum about religion and all the different views expressed has anyone changed their mind on what they do or do not beleive ?

I've received two PMs in my time on this forum thanking me for helping people to see the light, so yes, actually. At least 2 people.

Nicely put.

It would be rather amusing to type up a little list of names after each of those definitions - but I'll resist the temptation; we all know who fits where.

Who, apart from Jobee (who I suspect is a robot anyway) fits into the "there absolutely isn't a god and if you say there is you are wrong / deranged / insane / dangerous." category?

Because I can't think of anyone.

Really?? :roll::D

really, I can't think of anyone who says with certainty that "there absolutely isn't a god"

That is very rare as far as I am aware.

Also out of the words at the end I've only ever heard most of my fellow atheists say the first one, that people are wrong.

It's pretty rare to find people who say that all people who say there is a god are deranged/insane/dangerous.

These absolute positions seem contrary to the critical thinking which led me to my atheism.

Archived