The petulance of atheism

An atheist asserts there is no god. A believer has to assert not only that there is a god but their god is the 'one true god'. Now that is self-righteous.

That's a false statement, which sadly suggests that you have a fixed mind on the subject and are unwilling to consider the possibilty that others may hold contrary views.

Why false? The 'one true God' bit; I've believed at various times in my life and never falt the need the need to assert that there was one true God - and I'm sure I'm not the only person ever to have held such a view.

The followers of polytheistic faiths must run into the millions for starters.

Who, apart from Jobee (who I suspect is a robot anyway) fits into the "there absolutely isn't a god and if you say there is you are wrong / deranged / insane / dangerous." category?

Because I can't think of anyone.

There are several posters whose level of antagonism towards believers can certainly come across as aggressive and who do indeed imply that belief in a God is akin to insanity.

Do some atheists suffer the same overly ****-sure symptoms as some religious folk?

Is atheism the new topic not to be discussed at the dinner table?

Being an atheist myself, I would say yes. There are a number of snooty, "I’m better then you" types who are atheists. Their derision for those of (religious) faith is no different to the indoctrinated opinions of some hard-line religious types.

Personally, I hate religion, but I respect the positive aspects of it on our country over the last few thousand years. I also respect people’s right to choice, but what I hate more are those who would impose their views on me.

That's a false statement, which sadly suggests that you have a fixed mind on the subject and are unwilling to consider the possibilty that others may hold contrary views.

Why false? The 'one true God' bit; I've believed at various times in my life and never falt the need the need to assert that there was one true God - and I'm sure I'm not the only person ever to have held such a view.

The followers of polytheistic faiths must run into the millions for starters.

You are right. I was generalising. A lot of people do go to extreme lengths to defend their god against others however, like they are protecting a friend from gossip or lies. My mind is fixed in very little apart from the absurdity of gods.

The point being that they acknowledge that there is no proof either way.

OK, who created god?

Quite possibly.

A circular argument, self reinforcing, nice. Makes no sense ofcourse, but if it makes you happy.

Magilla, did you notice my avatar by any chance? Seen it anywhere before?

God gives atheists a reason for living.

No God = No Atheist.

That's assuming that a person defines themselves and their existence by just one tiny aspect of their worldview.

(HINT: They don't).

Anyway, surely the equation should read.

No God = Lots of Atheists.

God = No Atheist

If it were conclusively proved tomorrow that there was no god, would the people who already believe that there is no god give a fig?

I wouldn't.

Archived