The petulance of atheism

No God = No Atheists.

If there was no God there would be nothing for atheists not to beleive in

Atheism is the standpoint that there is no god.

Proving there is no god would simply prove all the atheists right, and turn everyone not currently an atheist, into one.

We could start a thread about whether the Loch Ness monster and Leprachauns are real. I am sure there would be strong opinions for and against !!!!

The point I was trying to make is, even if your dodgy premiss that atheist's need not to believe in something, there are plenty of things to not believe.

There are several posters whose level of antagonism towards believers can certainly come across as aggressive and who do indeed imply that belief in a God is akin to insanity.

If God uses a few selected scribes to reveal all-important truths to the rest of us, we are essentially stuck taking their word for it. To me, it seems ironic and contradictory that God allegedly would want a personal relationship but then use bronze-age tribesmen as agents to obtain it.

Why would an omnipotent being choose this method in the first place, with all the risks of translation error, copy error, miscommunication, cross-cultural differences, appearance of favoritism, inherent limits of human language, and so on? It can’t be more trouble to simply speak to us directly, if omnipotence is a reality.

These days if someone says they have a direct line to god, they are diagnosed and sent off to see a shrink or people smile politely and cross over the road. Has god stopped revealing himself? Are there people out there in funny farms who have heard the word of god but no-one sees them as a prophet or is having a personal relationship with god a form of delusion? It sure ain't based in reality.

Archived